9.03.2017

Around Here: Week 35















Visiting... my sister last weekend to see her new house and let our boys play at the splash pad there.  They had so much fun and I was so glad to see her place. I can't wait for regular get togethers (it's a little over an hour drive) and all the memories we're going to make!

Relishing... the last days of summer, taking the boys to the park, swimming at the pool and even diving off the diving board on our last day there.  So much sunshine, so much laughter and so much fun!!!

Dealing... with some anxiety.  Mostly physical-- shaky and nauseous-- and worrying constantly about my body.  My health-related anxiety has been in high gear since I got home from my trip to visit my parents. I'm not sure if it was the stress of traveling by myself or the lack of sleep I got, but it's been so frustrating. It finally seems to be dying down, thankfully.
Also dealing with a skunk that seems to have made his home under our shed. I am not sure what we're going to do, but I think Josh will be securing the perimeter of the shed because we are not interested in the kids (or ourselves) getting sprayed!!!

Organizing... like a nesting mom in preparation for the school year.  The closet; the office; the kitchen.  I also gave everyone (except me) haircuts.  The boys all look so fresh and even Carly's looks 10x better than it did.  Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I send my ducks marching off into the 2017-2018 school year.

Meeting... new teachers.  The boys all have amazing teachers this year and I am so grateful for where they have been placed.

Sending... the kids back to school.  That first day was all excitement around here, as was day two.  By the third morning, though, Wyatt had a few tears in his eyes at drop off.  I hugged him tight, put on my brave mom face and watched him march sadly into class.  I left, not looking back, walked all the way home (without crying!) and called the counselor to please check in with him and report back to put my heart at ease. She is awesome and has done this for me in the past.  As predicted, when she found him, he was perfectly happy and well adjusted.  I am so grateful for our school & staff.

Enjoying... quiet mornings with my girl.  We get home from walking the boys to school and do some morning chores, then have lunch together and she goes down for her nap.  During her nap I've been blogging and reading, and I can't tell you how much more I feel like myself. In just three school days the house feels cleaner, like it's running more smoothly, and like my mind is not a jumbled ball of yarn.

Finding... my groove with days to myself again.  The first day I came home and felt sort of frozen. Like there was SO much I could do, I didn't know where to start!  Day two I got a little more, and day three I was on a roll, balancing getting things done with taking some time for myself.

Watching... lots of TLC go while doing chores & catching up after a fun summer around the house.  I scrubbed the kitchen down, got loads of laundry done (pun intended) and organized the fridge & pantry.

Reading... Small Victories by Anne Lamott, Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton; The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett.  For the boys I am reading The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman.

Dressing... Carly so cute everyday.  I just choosing her clothes and doing her hair.  It never gets old.

Walking... the boys to and from school everyday, even though the afternoons are BLAZING hot (like, in the high nineties). I promised myself that I would walk every day that I could, both to get Carly & I outside, getting exercise, and because I see it as a service to the boys' teachers.  Getting that extra energy out before they are expected to sit still in class is so good for the boys and therefore, good for their teachers.  Round trip (twice) I walk three miles everyday, pushing Carly in the stroller.  It's 3/4 mile each way, and I walk them there, and go home. Then walk to pick them up, and go home. So I'm doing it 4x day.  It's a big commitment, but one that I love and am so grateful for. To live in a place where I can get exercise outside nearly everyday after living in Alaska is just the best!

Reaching... out to neighbors with gifts of banana bread. I think it always feels good to be thought of, and I love the quote that people won't always remember how you looked, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Doing... twenty push ups every day (per my 100 small things goal) and my armpits are KILLING ME! I am also working out a few days/week and being much more active than I've been all summer.  It feels great!

This cracked me up.
Yes.  Just yes.
I still care, but my life as a mom of four kids has taken over.
***

2 comments:

Ashley said...

You're such a good mama. Love that you can walk the boys to and from school everyday! I'm sure it will be a memory they keep as they grow as well.
And prayers for you and the anxiety...I've been having sudden moments myself lately and think it's due to really poor sleep (Patrick is teething AGAIN).

Krista said...

My girls start school tomorrow and I can't WAIT to have our routine back! And hopefully get myself back too.
Also, those splash pad pictures look AWFULLY familiar... next time you come to town it would be so fun to meet up! I bet our boys would have a blast together!