1.01.2018

Word of the Year: Measure

While contemplating what I wanted from 2018, I did a lot of thinking and list making. I read this quote by Tyler Knott Gregson and knew that he was spot on.  I want to give more.  I want to empty my heart everyday.  Into my friends, into my husband, into my children.  And I want to believe there is always enough time to become who I am meant to be. 

With those things in mind, I began contemplating what word I wanted to choose as my theme for 2018.  Last night it came to me.

The word is "measure" and I have to give Gretchen Rubin full credit for this being my word for the year. In her book, Better Than Before (which is a brilliant book to read if you are making lots of new years resolutions) she says that "We only manage what we measure".  I have seen the last few months how true this is.  When I started keeping track of my "not yelling" with stickers on the calendar in our kitchen, I suddenly became very motivated to see seven in a row.  I wanted a little smiley face on each day of the month.

It was with this in mind that I compiled my list of things I want to do (a few new goals, mixed with some of my 100 small things list that remains).  I am very excited to see what 2018 will hold for me!

***

I have broken up my goals for the new year into different sections, using "measure" as the theme for each.  (see below)

We only manage what we measure:

  • Change our eating (following a semi-paleo diet), writing it all down!
    • try a new shrimp recipe
    • try a new fish recipe
  • Move my body (working out 3x/week)
    • get a bike for me
    • get a bike for Josh
    • buy family pool pass
    • hike with my dad
    • kayak with my mom
    • try some yoga
    • do 20 pushups/day
    • write out some body positivity mantras
    • walk to school as much as possible


Albert Einstein said, "The measure of intelligence is the ability to change." And I want to be intelligent.  Therefore, I must prove to myself my ability to change.  Josh and I have talked for a while about changing our eating habits (for ourselves and our children) and this is the year we're going to do it. Personally, I am going to be making sure I exercise 3x/week.  I was successful in August, September & October, but the cold in November & December got the best of me. I'm determined for January to be better.

*****

How do you measure success?

  • Not yelling or swearing at my kids
    • add more hugs & snuggling
    • be present
  • Reaching out to/being there for friends
    • call!
    • write!
    • send mail!
    • plan small group get together
    • movies with my sister
    • keep track of birthdays/anniversaries this year


I measure success not in a clean house or a fancy car or a skinny body, but in loving those around me and being there for them.  One way I can be there for my kids is by being an example of a calm, loving adult (aka: one who doesn't swear or yell) and one way I can be there for my friends is by reaching out when I think of them, and being there for them when they need me. 

*****

Don't worry if you don't measure up:

  • Less Facebook, Instagram (phone lives on the counter, 2 check times/day)
    • Screen-free weekdays for my kids
    • 1 screen-free weekday for myself
    • try media-free mornings for me
  • Decrease TV consumption & increase reading 
    • Read 52 books again this year (one per week)
    • check in monthly with Inspired Readers
    • read random books with my kids!


The more time I spend with screens- watching TV, scrolling Facebook and Instagram- the more poorly I start to feel about myself and my status in life.  Despite the blessings around me, if I get more invested in my "online" life or friends than I am in my real life, I start to lose perspective.  So I am going to try and treat my cell phone like a house phone.  Let it live on the kitchen counter, out of sight & out of mind, so I can get more "life" lived (or at least more books read!) ha!

*****

How will I measure my life?

  • Slow, purposeful bedtimes with the kids
    • read 10 chapter books with the boys this year
    • continue journaling back & forth with Jack
  • celebrate Mother's Day for those around us
  • celebrate Father's Day for those around us
  • visit the library 1x/month
  • do a monthly 'crafternoon' for the kids
  • rotate consistently who helps with dinner
  • continue family grooming day Sundays (cut nails, haircuts, etc.)
  • cousin playdate with the Tucker's 

Time with loved ones is, in the end, all that will matter.  I want my daily life to show that.  I want to make this ordinary life special, by celebrating the little things, by carrying out traditions and being deliberate in where we spend our time.  

****

Loved Beyond Measure:

  • record my kids' lives (on the blog & in person)
    • create a family photo book
    • figure out a memorabilia system for the kids
    • blog 3x weekly
      • Do "a week in the life" post
      • Introduce "Alaska Living" page
      • Month-long blog writing challenge
      • Share favorite kid books
      • Finish my blog story
      • Share how we do chores
      • Empty dashboard of drafts (all.of.them!) by August 2018
      • 100 small things quarterly update
  • take care of myself, too!
    • Go To Bed!!! (Why is this so hard!?!)
    • meditate
    • read Happier At Home
    • reorganize the desk
    • reorganize the office (...again...)
    • write inspirational quotes to hang around the house
    • watch 3 documentaries
    • write out prayers to rid myself of anxiety
    • write one chapter of my novel each month

I want my family to know in the future that they have been loved beyond measure.  For me that means better record keeping, more blogging and more memory books.  But my kids aren't the only ones I want "feeling the love"-- I also want to take care of myself!  Because what they say is true: "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" It really isn't selfish to prioritize my needs.  When I am happier, our whole house is happier, and tends to run more smoothly.

And to remember always that I am blessed beyond measure!

***

2 comments:

Ashley said...

LOVE your word and how you've broken it down into attainable goals. So, so good!! Wishing you a wonderful 2018! xo

Tabitha Studer said...

Such a good list and I love how it's broken down - using the word in all it's different meanings - how very 'writery' of you ....which leads me to - A NOVEL!? yes, please. maybe we can do a mid-year writer's check in together and share. I'm starting a local writer's club here with my aunt and a friend, can we be long distance writer's club members together too?
xxoxo