3.19.2019

Week 11 Around Here {2019}





























Enjoying... Friday night on my own while Wyatt & Josh ran out to the land to get Josh's dads truck so he could make a dump run early Saturday morning.  I made a pizza and watched Ben is Back, which I had borrowed from Redbox.  It was super sad, but really good, and heartwrenching to watch as a mama.

Adoring... the picture my mother-in-law captured of Josh & Carly on the 4 wheeler last week.  Josh said she was totally digging it, yelling, "Go four wheeler, go!" the whole time.  Our little daredevil!

Spending... Saturday with my crew on my own, as Josh was at the land working on Samuel's car with him.  We enjoyed movie night with homemade pizza & cookies (yum!) and it was a nice, mellow day.

Walking... to the school playground in the sunshine (finally!) with my sister and her kids on Sunday when they came into town.  It was so great to take a walk after months of being stuck inside for my workouts, and the kids had so much fun together. (They always do!)  I couldn't believe how big my niece has gotten- I haven't seen her since before Christmas- and was really happy to have everyone together!

Enduring... one more snow day- seriously- on Tuesday this week.  We got over three more inches in the night, and I was honestly in disbelief.  We had the neighbor & her 5 boys over for a playdate, so that helped the morning go by quickly, and I gave the boys all haircuts, which was much needed.  Then the boys played outside and I went to the dentist where I had my permanent crown put in, but with no pain meds.  I'm not sure why they didn't give me any pain meds, they just said they tend not to with permanent crowns... but let me tell you, there was a lot of cement-scraping-off on my tooth nub, and I was in a LOT of pain.  Whoooo! I was SO glad when that stinking appointment was over, let me tell you!!!

Reading... The Life You Longed For and Down Came The Rain, and listening to In Pieces by Sally Field, which I believe should be required listening for every woman.  She is so profound in even the smallest slices of honesty about her life, it's amazing, and I love how she doesn't make anyone out to be a "good guy" or a "bad guy", but allows for shades of grey (something I am terrible at)... it's just so human.  Through her story, she revealed things to me about my own life.  How most things aren't "right" or "wrong", but often fall somewhere in between, and how many times, people are just doing the best they know how, and we can't fault them if they don't know better.  It was a beautiful book, and I loved it.
I gave up reading Maid... Everyone else who read it loved it so much... but I just didn't get into it.  I struggled to identify with the main character, and when Josh saw how long I'd been reading it without making any actual progress, he offered to "get rid of it" for me. Haha! "No one would have to know," he joked.  That was what finally convinced me to put it down, DNF.

Loving... our new bedside tables (I'll have to take pictures next week!) that we got after making do for 2 years with the ones we were given when we moved here.  The new ones match our bedroom furniture, look great with the new flooring, and have three drawers, which is awesome.

Indulging... in self care Wednesday during nap time and watching an episode of This is Us (are you watching it? It's so good right now!) and then taking a nap after lunch.  It felt so good to take care of me, and it turn my anxiety down, which had been creeping up on the dial.  (Sleep always helps tone my anxiety down.)

Attending... the movies Thursday with my girl Megan (hey!!) to see Five Feet Apart after reading the book.  I did not love the book, but to be honest, I only read the book because I knew I was going to see the movie.  And actually, they wrote the movie first, then developed the book from the screenplay.  (Kind of backwards from how it is normally done)
Anyway, even though I only gave the book 3 stars, I LOVED the movie (sobbed like a baby throughout) and highly recommend you see it.  It was such a great way to bring awareness to Cystic Fibrosis, which is actually what they thought Wyatt might have when he was hospitalized in the PICU with status asthmaticus last year.  I follow a girl named Katharine with it on Instagram (she's a fellow BOOK LOVER!) and she has taught me so much about the ins and outs of the disease.  They are so close to finding a cure, which would impact so many people.

Taking... Carly to the doctor on Friday when she just wasn't herself after a bad fall that injured her hip.  I wasn't sure if there were internal injuries; if she was coming down with a cold; or if she was just behind on sleep, but she was NOT acting like herself, and it had me freaked out.
Because I didn't see the fall that injured her hip, the doctor ordered an x-ray, which Carly handled like a pro, and we were relieved when it came back fine.  In the end, I think she was coming down with a cold & cough, as Wyatt came down with the same thing a few days later, but boy was she miserable for a few days!!

Kicking... myself for forgetting to schedule more counseling appointments.  I knew I had scheduled quite a bit out, and then suddenly it was March and I had no more appointments scheduled. Dang! So I will go the next month without seeing my counselor.  I am nervous about it, but I have more appointments scheduled starting mid-April, so hopefully I can make it until then.

Awaiting... next week when the twins get BRACES!!! Our local orthodontist (Feller Orthodontics) is amazing (love him & his family) and worked with us to get our insurance to approve the boys' braces, and now we are ready for Phase 1!  I am so excited both for the boys to have more handsome smiles, and to have safer mouths.  Right now, their side teeth stick out, which puts them at risk for getting knocked loose, so they will be much safer once they are all aligned!

Flaunting... my new purse from my friend Shana.  She saw how sad & old mine was, and gave me one. So sweet!  I love it!!

Treating... myself to Starbuck's on Thursday morning before hitting the grocery store.  It was so nice to sit and drink a mocha while reading before running my errands.  Then I was able to get groceries without Carly, who was spending the day with Grandma, and listen to my audiobook while doing so. 

Receiving... my Book of the Month order and feeling thrilled to get No Exit, The Dark Lake & Queenie in my box.  I think I will dive into No Exit next!!!


I laughed when I read this one:
(thanks for sharing Januari & Julie!)

Tiffany at the Gray Gang shared this quote on Instagram,
and I loved it so much, I wanted to share it as well:

"My child isn't my easel to paint on
nor my diamond to polish.
My child isn't my trophy to share with the world
nor my badge of honor.
My child is here to fumble, stumble, try and cry.
Learn and mess up.
Fail and try again.
Listen to the beat of a drum faint to our adult ears.
And dance to a song that revels in freedom.
My task is to step aside.
Heal my own wounds.
Fill my own bucket.
And let my child fly."

-Shefali Tsabary

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Braces - what a big step for the boys! Mark and I both needed them as kids, so we're assuming at least one of ours will need them too. We always hold our breath as they start to lose their baby teeth and the permanent ones come in, hah!

Sarah Ann said...

I love your blog, Shelly! I found it a long time ago when I was searching for information about teaching in Alaska. I love how real and raw your blog is. I look forward to it! Love, Sarah from Montana. 😁