11.01.2022

Around Here: Week 39 2022

 {September 25-October 1st}





















{pc: my amazing, patient sister}






















"One day I will open my
eyes. I will see the
world around me.
Sometimes it's scary
but I'm brave. I can
do it. Someday
I will love someone.
We will live together in peace."













Accomplishing... a TON of things on my extra-huge to-do list.  The twins were both with Josh at the land on Sunday, leaving me with all their chores to do.  I wrote out a page full of things I wanted to accomplish, and got about half of them done. The one that felt best was vacuuming our downstairs mini blinds which haven't been cleaned since we moved in three years ago.  Vacuuming the floors was also pretty satisfying as two german shepherds shed a LOT of hair, and sucking it up is really rewarding. It felt good to get so much crossed off, and the rest I just saved for later in the week.

Giving... haircuts to all the men in our house.  The boys sometimes complain, but when we explain how much a haircut can cost and invite them to pay for one, they are suddenly quite content with our home hair cutting.  Haha.  During Jack's post-haircut shower, I got an evil idea.  I filled a cup with freezing cold water and poured it over him in the shower. He squealed and Logan and I laughed so hard. 
Twenty minutes later, after Jack was out and dressed, he came upstairs with a pot from the kitchen full of cold water as I was cutting Wyatt's hair and Logan was showering, and he got Logan good! There was much screaming. haha!  This is the part of having twins and boys that I love. The laughing and scheming and good hearted fun. I am so grateful I get to be a part of it. 

Wanting... to remember the way Carly plays Roblox with her cousin Liesel (they love to play role play- one of them is usually the mom and one the kid) and the way she plays MineCraft, building ice cream shops; farms; zoos; swimming pools and houses filled with bookshelves.  Her creativity knows no bounds.

Working... quite a bit this week in bits and pieces.  I worked all day Monday and then three half days later in the week. Also this week, I finished up the required trainings for the year. That feels like a huge relief!

Doing... family pictures Monday after work with my sister who (bless her heart!) drove all the way from Wenatchee to take them for us. I was so grateful that she was willing and that we figured out what to wear.  My guys are NOT picture people, especially my husband, so it was like pulling teeth... but we got some great shots, and I'm so glad. Fresh pictures always make Christmas cards extra fun to make. 

Reading... Jennette McCurdy's memoir, I'm Glad My Mom Died, and feeling shocked by all of it. Gosh. She has been through so much, it's really amazing she is functioning at all.  Highly recommend. Four solid stars. 

Attending... Carly's soccer game Tuesday and feeling touched when her teacher came to watch her! I can't even imagine how she makes it all happen (the magic in the classroom, plus her own three kids and home, plus attending kids' sporting events...), but her commitment to and love for her students is clear. How did we get so lucky?!?

Buying... pumpkins for the porch, my favorite Halloween decoration, because they will last for all of October and November, and work for both holidays! 
I also pulled out the bin of holiday decorations, and the little kids and I decorated the entire house with pumpkins, skeletons and ghosts. I love their excitement for the simplest things, and it makes me glad when I take the time to not only do the decorating, but to include them in it. It means so much to them. 

So happy... our hibiscus continues to bloom! It has maybe 6-8 blooms on it, so there's more in store. 

Soaking... up every bit of that early fall morning sun.  Soon I know it will be dark when I drive the boys to school, but right now, it's perfection.  A little dew on the grass; the most beautiful clouds and colors in the sky; the trees still mostly green... Just enjoying each day as it comes.  
Saying goodbye to summer is always hard for me, so fall coming at us slowly is a big blessing.

Dying... at Carly writing music.  She has taken to writing lyrics to songs she makes up, and then using musical notes, also written on the paper. I have no idea if she knows what the music notes actually mean (like if they mean for her to sing a certain way) but she takes her music writing very seriously.  

Making... the boys do a handful of chores to earn their freedom to do as they pleased on Thursday afternoon.  Some vacuuming and organizing, plus taking out the trash.  

Chatting... with my bestest good friends Kari & Kori.  I always walk away from those conversations so grateful for their friendship. They are both so strong and loving... Love you girls!

Shopping... Friday after school with my girl, which was fun, and then grabbing Subway for Josh and I for date night.  We watched the Mariner's game and ate our sandwhiches while the kids gamed. It was a lovely, relaxed evening. 

Babysitting... my nieces while my sister and brother-in-law took their big boys out of town for Milo's birthday.  Carly, Romy and Lulu had a super fun day, jumping on the trampoline, playing tea party and playing LOL dolls.  It is still so strange to me to be surrounded by little girls after years of all boys (my mom had only grandsons from 1999 until 2016). 
While we were there, Carly fell in love with my sister's foster cat and wanted to bring him home so badly.  We checked in with Daddy and when he said no, her little heart broke. She sobbed and sobbed. She just has the absolute most tender heart ever! 

Loving... bedtime with my little sweetheart so much lately.  But reading our Halloween books to her got me thinking, "When was the last time one of us read a picture book to Logan or Jack?" Oh how I wish we knew the last time was the last time. You know? Suddenly that part of your life is just over (whether it be picking them up; giving them a bath; or reading them a children's book) and you have no idea when it ended. Their growing up is bittersweet for sure.

***

Key points learned from Noom

Down 19lbs.
I feel like I can see it mostly in my face. 

6 weeks on Noom

If you're considering joining Noom,
here's a link
It's been the greatest! 
Super simple app with lessons, food logging and weight charting all in one place.


***





This made me think of our colorblind twins.
Oh how I wish I could see through their eyes.
But really, do any of us see color exactly the same way?
Fascinating to think about. 




Really good mantras.
I could use all of them!

First, the book he wanted from the Scholastic order.
Second, the fact that he doesn't want to miss school for an appt.
And third, the fact that he says "please please please with sprinkles on top with a cherry"
I can't with this kid.
He's just too good.
How'd I get so lucky?





Oh god. 
I have some of these. 
They are so cringy.
The thought of this is terrifying.

Ummmm accurate.






***

FEEL DEAL HEAL

by Tiffany Roe 




***

1 comment:

Tabitha Studer said...

So many beautiful photos of the sky! and Carly's lyrics are legit. The next Taylor Swift?

Yes to picture book reading to the big kids. I'm so grateful that if I'm reading on of the 'favorites' Grey and Gem still find their way over to me on the couch with the littles to listen. I don't know how/why they still do, but I am so grateful that certain picture books can still gather all my babies around to listen. Honestly, about to cry about it. so grateful. Such a blink! This life with children at home!