12.06.2010

sick... again

The boys are exactly two & a half today. 
They've been in my life 30 months.

And if you're wondering-
Yes, they are two year olds.
And true to form, there are tantrums.
Oh and today did we have tantrums. 
Logan was probably in timeout over 20 times today.
And that was probably half as many times as he deserved.
But none of us are feeling well, so I tried to cut him some slack.

We are all sick... again.
It started last Tuesday with Jack.
He had pink eye.

Two days later, Logan had pink eye.

Then there was the typical runny noses,
coughs, fevers & crabbiness.

Then on Saturday we went to get our Christmas tree,
and when Josh got home from visiting his mom
with the boys, we noticed Jack had a rash.
It was all over his torso & face.
It was moving around, and so itchy.
He was miserable,
and I was freaking out.

So we headed to the ER.
Turns out he has a double ear infection 
{the worst one the doctor had ever seen}
and a virus causing high fever & rash.
He was terrified (terrified!) of the nurses & doctor,
and I (his mother!) forgot.to.bring.his.bubba.
That's right. 
I packed TWO bubbas for Logan who stayed with my mom, 
but forgot to pack one for the kid who was going to the EMERGENCY ROOM.
The doctor gave Jack Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl & Amoxicillin.
And I gave myself the "Worst Mom Ever" Award.

I had thought he had an ear infection last week,
but since he had just been in to see the doctor on Tuesday,
I assumed I was wrong.

Never doubt your Mommy Intuition.
Ever.
That's, like, Rule Number One!

 So Sunday I felt like Logan & I should be seen.
Off to Urgency Care.
We got lucky, and there was no wait.
Unfortunately, there was also no diagnosis.
No ear infections, and no strep.
The doctor just said it'd be about five to seven days until we get better.
That's an eternity!!!

We have been sick at least once a month since school started,
and I am done.
I am ready to get out of my first trimester,
get done with this nausea,
and stop being sick!
And this whole "entire family's sick" thing,
it's awful!

If I was well, or the boys were well (and sleeping)
then maybe I could cope.
But with all of us miserable,
it's ugly.

Today has been a blur of pushing liquids, giving Tylenol & Motrin doses on an alternating schedule to keep the fevers under control, doing eye drops, remembering Amoxicillin, and checking torsos for the rash, which continues to come & go and requires Benadryl to keep the boys from scratching.

There were three sunshiny parts to my day today:
1. My sister posted an inspirational song for me
on her blog...
{thanks, sistah! i love you}
2. Juli Adelman {biggest sweetheart ever!}
dropped off dinner including pizza, a salad, a gift card
and a chocolate pudding pie
with {homemade} crust.
I will neither confirm nor deny eating 
half of it after the boys fell asleep...
3. Then as I was putting away clothes in my room,
Jack was in the hallway with Sukie.
She was meowing and he said to her,
"Sukie, what you mowwin' about?"
So adorable.

And I'm thankful for those.

4 comments:

Kymberlee - The Mama Midwife said...

Adorable little coments even when they dont feel well. Hope all is better REALLY soon!

oh and that you all STAY that way for a long while

Barb said...

Hope you all feel better soon. Love that you still have enough emotional energy to appreciate the sunshiny parts of your day! And enough energy to blog!!

Rox said...

You're welcome! I hope you get the chance to hear that song (video is on youtube but they play it on Z100 all the time!). That was SO nice of Juli, she ROCKS!
I think you all should take to wearing haz-mat suits and surgeon masks, for the sake of your HEALTH! Really though, what is UP with this?!
I can't wait until you hit that 2nd trimester Bliss. It's the best... you start showing, find out the gender, feel great, have more energy. You'll love it. And also, winter break is coming! And I really want to go to JJ Jump this break!
I love you, don't forget to take care of YOU!

The Adelman Twins said...

Shelly- you are so welcome! I am glad I could help you a little bit. I remember when I was on bedrest with Mason and Orion you were so great with your care packages, notes and encouragement--- and I hadn't even met you yet! Us twin moms have to stick together through thick and thin... and I think your sister is brilliant! Hope Santa brings you Hazmat suits!