3.12.2011

my twin dilemma

 It all began when my mom suggested a family trip to Great Wolf Lodge.

My sister & I were instantly excited, imagining playing with our little ones and spending time with family at the huge deluxe indoor swimming pool.

Then we hit a hiccup.
None of our spouses wanted to come.
Not one.

Originally we were thinking that it would be: 
my parents & my nephew Isaiah (whom they are raising);
my sister & her husband & their son Ferris; 
and Josh & I with our boys.

Now it would be us girls & all the kids.

 For my mom and sister, not having the husbands come isn't too big of a deal.
It's still a one to one ratio of adult to child in the pool...

 But for me, those numbers just don't work.  The boys love the water, but there's no way I would feel comfortable being seven months pregnant with two 2-year-olds in a pool I have never been to.

 So I started thinking... Should I cancel? Tell Josh he just has to come? See if my mom would agree to help watch the second twin and send Isaiah off to swim on his own?

Then I had a stroke of genius. I would take Jack. And leave Logan with Josh.
That way I could go on the trip, feel comfortable about my responsibility, and get some one on one time with Jack, which I have been feeling like he needs. And Josh could get in that same quality time with Logan.

I was surprised how quickly Josh agreed that was the best option.  He was actually really, really excited about the prospect of spending the weekend with just one of the boys.  He said he would make it really special for Logan, taking him to a new pool we've never been to; eating out at a restaurant (which is Logan's new favorite thing to do) and enjoy lots of  one on one time.

That's what I am most excited about.  I think both our boys crave more one on one time, and crave more focused attention.  This special weekend (for both of them) will provide just that.
I am also anxious to see what differences I notice in Jack's personality (and Josh in Logan's) when they exist separate from their brother.  Not to mention I will enjoy seeing what it feels like to have a singleton!

I had some definite hesitation in reaching this decision. And I am nervous about how the boys will do, seeing as they have never had a night apart in their lives.  But I gained strength in my decision based on the following things:

One- I had Josh's total support & enthusiasm.

Two- I thought about how if they were different ages (for instance, one was 2yrs & one was 4yrs) I wouldn't hesitate at all to take one on a special trip by myself.

And Three- Another blog I follow (Mostly Life) is about a mother of triplets and her best friend lives in another state. And each time she visits said friend she takes a different triplet with her.  She has posted about each experience and so seems to enjoy getting to know her kids as individuals.  It really inspired me to at least give it a try.

I promise to keep you posted on how it goes.
I can't wait!

1 comment:

Rox said...

I'm excited! I think it's great you're just taking Jack. Good point that if they were a couple years apart you wouldn't think twice.

Blake did want to go! But since it's so much cheaper/less crowded to go on a weekday he said it's ok to go without him since he can't get off work. I feel kinda bad but then when Josh didn't go either I felt better! And he said I need things to look forward to during the week. And he's going to have one-on-one time with his Xbox. HA!