3.19.2011

random Saturday morning thoughts...

Last week I hit 27 weeks, which means tomorrow I will be 28 weeks.  7 whole months.  It's truly amazing how quickly this pregnancy is going compared to the boys' pregnancy.  But what really threw me is that last weeks' Baby Center Update (which I receive each Sunday) told me I was starting my third trimester.
What!?!
Third trimester?
Seriously!!!
So, because of said scary e-mail, I have been thinking a lot about the end of this pregnancy (labor & birth) and what it's going to look like for me.
Will I have a vaginal birth this time? Or a repeat c-section? Will I try to labor, or just opt for the cesarean? Will I use medication?  What are the reasons for having a c-section? And a vaginal birth?
When I first got pregnant I couldn't even pretend to pose these questions to myself. The thoughts were too terrifying.  The idea that this baby was ever going to need to be born too overwhelming.
But now-- now that I am in my third trimester (yikes!) I have been able to start mulling over my choices.  I have talked to the doctor as well.  And done a bit of research on the subject.
My doctor says I am a good candidate for a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) and that about 85% of her VBAC patients are successful.  That sounds promising.  She said that my recovery from a vaginal birth would be faster than that of a c-section recovery, but that she's also open to scheduling the OR for my c-section if I would like to go that route.
At first I thought I would just do another c-section. This is likely our last baby (Josh would say, "This.is.it!" but I won't know I'm done until I meet him, and see if I truly feel that our family is complete.) and my c-section with the boys was a really good experience.
But then I started talking to a few people who've had recent vaginal births, and I came to the conclusion that having twins to chase around post-birth might be a bit much if I am recovering from major surgery.  
For now, my plan is to be flexible (whatever gets Wyatt here safely is fine) but tentatively hope for a vaginal birth with the help of an epidural.  I am nervous to labor & birth a baby naturally, instead of letting the doctor do all the hard work for me! But I have faith in my strength. And I would really like the experience of birthing a baby that way, and having him laid on my belly post-birth, like you always see.
_____________________________________

Onto another random Saturday morning thought I stole from Enjoying the Small Things.  
I'm telling you, that girl inspires me!

What are five things you are tired of?

1. Being tired.
2. Winter.
3. Being broke.
4. The twins' daily wrestling matches.
5. Worrying about baby #3 in the oven.

And what are five things you are not tired of?

1. "Good morning, mommy" hugs.
2. My high thread count sheets.
3. Listening to the twins' conversations.
4. Feeling the baby move.
5. Oranges.
___________________________________________________

And my final random thought: I love my husband.
You know that everyone says it is the small things that bring us joy.  And you generally take that to be true. And then your husband sneaks a hollow chocolate bunny into the grocery cart without you noticing and presents you with said bunny later, after the kids are in bed, and then you know (without a doubt) that it truly is the small things that put a smile on your face.  
We had been watching a commercial for Cadbury eggs and I told Josh I don't really like Cadbury eggs, that I prefer hollow chocolate bunnies.  That simple conversation stuck in his head, and days later when we were at Target, off he went with Logan in search of a special treat for me.  He said finding a hollow one was no small feat, that many of them were solid, which he knew would just not do.

Oh, how I love him.

And how I loved that chocolate fairy bunny as I bit her ears off 
and let the milk chocolate melt in my mouth.

Delicious!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Hooray for the third trimester! IT has flown by, for sure. I highly recommend checking out the ICAN network near you, they have a great support system for VBAC (and VBAC-hopefuls). Keep up the fiath in your self, it's something you can do!
Either way, your baby isn't too far from coming, how exciting!

Julie said...

I'm with you on the "wrestling matches". If only they'd stop before someone gets hurt!
I love that it's a "fairy bunny", very sweet.

Tay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

I am counting the days down until Wyatt comes out and the summertime too! :)

When you are in labor and you will know if you need epidural. Just follow your heart and you know your body the best.

The chocolate bunny looks YUMMY!!

P.S. Sorry third post was me. I was logged under my husband Taylor's e-mail. Opps!

Julie said...

I love the bunny story. What a sweet man! As for the VBAC if you feel good about it give it a shot. I have had four c-sections and wish I had the option of experiencing a vaginal birth but it wasn't in the cards for me. If you want to try and your doctor thinks it's a good idea go for it. You can always do a c-section if it doesn't work out but you can't change your mind to do it vaginally once you're in the OR. The most important thing is what is safe for Wyatt. He is so much more important than the birth experience but either way he's going to come and be so adorable!