3.16.2011

in sickness & in health...

Over the course of last week and this weekend I came upon another blessing that not working has allowed.  Jack got sick in the night last week, and Logan over the weekend wasn't feeling well.  My stress level through all of the illness has been surprisingly low. 
I started thinking about why it was so low. I mean, here I am, nearly seven months pregnant, up half the night with feverish kids, changing sheets, taking temperatures and rubbing cold cloths on foreheads, and through it all I am laughing at how long it used to take us to clean up from a "throw up".  

We are like a well oiled machine:
Door opens, I smell it, holler for Josh, calm crying child, take said child into the bathroom where I run a bath.  Meanwhile, Josh tends to the other brother (who is both concerned for brother and excited to be awake in the middle of the night) changes the sheets, starts the laundry and gets other brother back into bed.
Then it's pajamas on sick kid. Medicine in sick kid. Sick kid in bed.
Done.

It's amazing. 
We were such rookies before!  Puke would end up on the carpet, cover pillows and a clothing change would take eons.  

One night was even spent camped out on the couch with Logan on the arm chair. I was up like every hour that night.  And still my stress level was untouched.  Then I realized it was because of work.  When I was a working mom of sick kids- the whole ball game was different.  They'd get sick and I would be looking at the clock thinking, "If I get back to bed within an hour, I should be able to survive at work."  Now I'm just thinking of getting them taken care of, and know in my mind that I can always take a nap when they  nap the next day.
And there is such beautiful comfort in knowing that when my kids are sick, I get to be the one taking care of them.  I don't have to feel guilty for sending snotty, feverish kids to my mom's and I don't have to feel guilty for wondering if their visit to Urgent Care can wait until my day at work is done.  Their needs are my first priority. When I was working, that wasn't always the case. I wanted that to be the case, but when you are juggling so much, something's gotta give.  My life is so much simpler now.

I was so happy to find that I am enjoying being home with them 
in sickness and in health.

2 comments:

Rox said...

I'm happy for you! When I heard they were sick the first thing I thought was, "At least she won't have to worry about calling in to work!"
It's nice to spend time with you, I even can tell in your body language that you're more relaxed and I love it.

Julie said...

What a blessing! I remember a few months ago when you were hoping to stay home and not knowing when it would happen. It's so nice for moments like this!