12.02.2011

together

I keep replaying in my head the moment when I realized Josh was here. In Vancouver.  Seeing his travel weary face, scruffy from a day of not shaving, standing on the walkway that lead to our door.  All I remember is seeing him and then him holding me. No time in between.  It just might be the best moment of my life.
I know that I should say that my children's births or my wedding day were the best moments of my life.  But the stress associated with each take them out of the running. With the wedding, there was pressure for it all to be perfect, and with the labor/cesarean's I was too exhausted for the babies' arrivals to take the lead.
No, Josh's surprise arrival on my doorstep on a cold, rainy Thursday morning, the day before my birthday in November, takes the cake.  Hands down, bar none. Best moment ever. 
The way it felt to put my two hands on the sides of his cool face, hold it and look him square in the eyes is indescribable.  My knees were weak. That sounds so cliche, but it's true. I was shaking. For hours, I shook from the shock of it.  As I hugged him, I remember he wanted to take off his jacket & put down his luggage. In fact he said repeatedly, "Let me put this stuff down," but I couldn't let him. I couldn't let go. He was finally here, in my arms, and I wasn't letting go for anything.

I could replay those ten minutes in my head over and over and never grow tired of the feeling that arises in my stomach, the butterflies flitting about, when I remember how it felt to hold him after so long.  All those nights alone, all I wanted was a hug.  Just one hug.  When he arrived two weeks ago, I got that hug.
And I've never felt so whole.

What means the most to me is waking up next to you
When you're holding me
You're my favorite thing in love
Coming home to your arms
when you kiss me hello
It's these simple things that mean the most to me
~
No more days far away where I miss you
No more nights trying to fall asleep without you
From now on I'm always gonna be there
I won't miss another day that we won't share
I'll be there
Cause you mean the most to me
{Colbie Caillat}

We belong together.  Our family belongs together.  Imagining us together in Marshall is what gets me through. I haven't cried in days. I feel light. We're getting so close. Just three more weeks & he'll be here. He's coming for us. To bring us home with him. 

My home is in his arms.
And I can't wait to be there.

3 comments:

The Adelman Twins said...

beautiful!

Barb Miller said...

Your love for Josh and your joy at having time with him is just lovely, Shelly!

Rox said...

The butterflies when you're being reunited are PRICELESS and AMAZING! It's rare that a couple who have been together a decade (or more?) get to experience the newness of each other again, enjoy it!