1.01.2012

two thousand twelve

"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


This quote, courtesy of Barb Miller, has had me thinking for the last twenty four hours.  Deep thoughts, like the meaning of life, what you can make it & how your perspective on things can alter your reality.

I have decided that this journey to Alaska will be what I make it. If I dread living in -40 temps without my friends or family, it will be the worst experience of my life. If I look forward to making my mark on the world, trying something new & enjoying the chance to be our own little family, it may just be the best experience of my life.

Right now I am of the mind that life is what you make it. Most of 2010 & 2011 was challenging to say the least.  We were dealt some hard blows, with interview after interview resulting in Josh remaining jobless, and those defeats coupled with my surprise pregnancy had us feeling pretty disconcerted about what life had in store.

I am ready for 2012. I am ready for all it holds for us. 

 Josh teaching, me being at home & us being together.

I don't really have a resolution this year.  But if pressed, I would say mine is to bloom where I'm planted.  I may not know what I'm up against or how I'll feel once I arrive in Alaska, but I can at least go there with a positive attitude and a sunny outlook.

5 comments:

Claroux said...

I seriously do not know anyone with a sunnier outlook than you. If anyone can survive this move and this new chapter it's YOU! You have a GORGEOUS family filled with oodles of love that will warm your hearts and home better than anything else. It will be rough but at least you will all be together!!!! I haven't commented much but I lurk often *smile* and cannot WAIT to see what awaits you in Alaska! YOU CAN DO IT! Happy 2012...this will be the best year YET! *HUGS*

Angela said...

You are absolutely right. I am kind of looking forward to reading about this adventure you are going to have. I am wishing you the very best!

Barb Miller said...

Shelly, you bloomed in 2010 and again in 2011 dealing with life's challenges, twists and turns. I have no doubt you, and your family, will continue blooming during your Alaska adventure!

Marilynn said...

I am so proud of you Shelly. You are absolutely right, and it will serve you well. I love you more than I can express. You will feel that. Thank you for the beautiful pictures and your blog in advance!!
By the way, Wyatt could not be any cuter - his toes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky k said...

Aww.....I'm so looking forward to your blogs while you are in Alaska! Everything will work out! You have such a loving family! I wish you happy and safe travels!

PS...your mom's comment made me tear up! What a wonderful mother you have!