2.04.2012

blizzard

All night the wind blew. It would blow in a steady hum outside our window, and then angrily rage, throwing bits of sand & dust against the house.























And this morning when Josh woke up with the twins, he opened the door to the Arctic Entry to find this!























That's our front door.
(If you imagine your front door opening into a large, rectangular closet, which then opens with another door into your living room, that's what our Arctic Entry is like.)

Despite the extra weather stripping Josh put around the outside door, the snow still managed to blow itself all over the place.  I can't imagine how bad it is for folks who don't have the extra protection!

We are currently under a blizzard warning.  With visibility at less than a quarter mile.  And at times, depending on the speed of the gusts, it's even less than that. 

We're bummed about the white out, too because today is the warmest day we've had in weeks. 17 degrees! But with the wind blowing at a steady 37 miles per hour, and gusting up to 50 miles per hour, it is definitely colder than that. Not to mention we could very well get blown away if we went out there!

Josh said that despite the weather, if it was a school day, it would commence as usual.  I can't imagine having to go out in this, but Josh says it isn't that unusual.  They've had a couple other blizzards this year.

It's snowing currently, which is why it's a white out, and that's making me want the wind to stop even more because I love to watch it snow.  But I do have to admit that the wind blowing like this, shaking the whole house (even the computer monitor as I type!) is kind of exciting.

The only bummer thing is that it makes the house so darn cold. When we woke up it was 66 degrees downstairs and 65 degrees upstairs. The heat just can't keep up. And if you stand by the door to the arctic entry, you can feel the wind blast past you out of the cracks.

We have the boys all bundled up. Cozy fleece pants, two pair of socks (cause the floor is FREEZING!), an undershirt, a long sleeve shirt & a cozy fleece sweater. Even the baby is bundled, wearing two onesies, as well as a fleece jacket with a cozy hood!

And we've spent most of the day, snuggled up on the couch watching the movies we got in our packages this week. Shrek, Curious George, Franklin the Turtle & Iron Giant.  Very cozy!

7 comments:

allie. said...

we got a blizzard this week, too! although it's nowhere near as bad as yours. keep bundled up!

Krystle said...

Oh my! I can't imagine!
It's sunny and mid 50's in Southern Oregon...we have no clue what extreme weather is like here.

Marilynn Raatz said...

Dad says stay snuggled up! And I wanted to kiss Logan's face!! Such a cute picture. I am sorry about your door. That's awful! I'm glad Josh is keeping Jack cozy. I love you guys!! xoxo

Katie Sims said...

When Addy saw the picture of Logan she said "There's Logan", I just thought it was funny she knew that was him=)

Stacey said...

When I FIRST saw the pics on Facebook I read the title then saw the little tiny thumbnail pick and thought, "OH, they had to put cling wrap over the doors, must be really cold!!!" THEN I thought, "oh my gosh its frost INSIDE their door! WOW". Then I actually read the blog :)

I'd love to experience those winds...

Anonymous said...

Wow! That IS extreme weather! Glad you guys are snuggling in. Sounds like you got the care packages! I'm so glad! :)

Erin Bunn

Aniko said...

I saw on the weather that today it was in the positive numbers, I sure hope that melted all the snow coming into your house, I had to put on a sweater just to look at the pictures. You are quite the trooper. Much love to you all.