3.27.2012

Random Facts About Me

 Cassie, a girl I admired and attended both junior high and high school with, has an inspirational blog (A Serenade for Solitude) about her life, her family, her thoughts, and a few weeks ago she posted this fun "10 random facts" post which I thought I would copy.


1. Picture
{My 29th Birthday}


2. 10 Random Facts About Me

1.  In high school I declared that I only wanted sons.
2.  When I was fifteen I wrote a 340 page book called The Sun Will Shine.
3.  My favorite poet is Robert Frost.
4.  I regret not having more of a backbone and standing up for what I believed even though my opinion was not popular with my church in high school.
5.  I would never in a million years have believed my life path would land me in rural Alaska.
6.  My favorite candy bar is Butterfinger, even though it gets stuck in my teeth.
7.  I still sleep with a bubba.  It's a white stuffed bear.
8.  I have been journaling since I was twelve years old and have 84 completed journals.
9.  I collect rocks.  Particularly agates.  In another life, I would have become a geologist.
10. My absolute favorite author is Anita Shreve.  Favorite books? Fortune's Rocks, Sea Glass & Body Surfing.


  3. Cassie's Questions:

1.  Do you know your calling, yet?  If so, what is it?  My calling... Hmm... Well, I think my first calling was to be a wife, and I am trying my best to excel at that.  My second calling was to be a mother, and that has been a longer road, with more bumps & a higher learning curve.  And my third calling, I would have to say, is to find my truth and share it.  Be it on my blog, in my journal or in the novels I'm creating in my head (they will find their way to paper someday!) I am working to find who I am and share the journey.
2.  What color describes you?  I think blue.  Like the sky.  It's a color that changes, and I think I am undergoing a lot of change.
3.  Where would you like to visit?  Home. I would like to walk along the Columbia River, roast a Marshmallow in Cougar, and dip my toes in the sand in Rockaway.
4.  What don't people know about you?  All I want in the world is to feel confident. I doubt myself everyday, all day long.  I long to feel confident in my choices, both for myself and my family; I want to feel confident in my body; and I want to feel confident in my abilities.  Whew. That feels better.
5.  What book or author changed your life?  Women, Food & God by Geneen Roth.  This amazing book taught me more about myself than any other single thing in my life.  She taught me that I could trust myself to overcome my emotional eating. To love my body as it is, and allow it to get healthier in its own time.  And to be in the moment along with a million other things.  A great book. I've read it probably ten times!  
6.  What do you hate doing?  I hate calling customer service.  I dread doing it and generally spend more time thinking about how awful it's going to be than it actually takes to make the call!
7.  Are you more an introvert or extrovert?  I would say that I am an extrovert. I love talking to people, am very nosy and have no problem asking people really (sometimes inappropriate) personal questions. Ha!
8.  Name five things on your life Bucket List:
I don't have a bucket list.  So far, I've really done all the things I've wanted to do. (Get married, have children, become a SAHM...)
Except:
Write a novel
Vacation in Hawaii with Josh {& no children}
9.  If you could be anywhere right this moment, where would it be?  In Vancouver, at my sister-in-law Julie's house, with her, her three boys, my sister & her two boys, my three boys and my mom.  Lots of rambunctious boys running about, and plenty of girl talk!!!
10.  What is your favorite genre of music? Country.  JoDee Messina, Tim McGraw... They speak to me!


4. My Questions
1.  What cheers you up when you are feeling down?
2.  What is the best lesson you learned from your mother?
3.  What's the hardest part of parenting you least expected?
4.  How did your spouse propose? Did you see it coming?
5.  What's your bedtime routine? (Not the kids')
6.  What was the proudest moment of your life?
7.  Favorite all-time movie? And TV show?
8.  What one thing would you change about your childhood if you could?
9.  What is your favorite name on the planet?
10. What do you wish you knew then that you know now?


Want to play?  Post a picture, list 10 random facts, answer my ten questions and post ten of yours in a post and link in in the comments section, or you can answer the ten questions in the comments. 

I can't wait to read all about you!

7 comments:

Rox said...

I'm on it! Fun! I was surprised to read you don't feel confident. But glad to read you're working on it and overcoming that. I think you are a beautiful woman inside and out.

Marilynn Raatz said...

Shelly, would you please answer your questions? I would love to know!

Stacey said...

OOH, i'm on it!!! and I feel ya with the confidence thing. I always wonder if i'm doing the right thing for Amelia. And just the other night It brought me to tears not knowing what the next move should be for my family. We have goals, we just need to make a plan to make them happen. I'm also exactly like you when it comes to calling costumer service. LOL

Marilynn Raatz said...

I think you may know alot of this, but these are fun questions!

1. What cheers me up when I'm feeling down is usually talking to one of my daughters, my sisters or girlfriends.

2. The best lesson I learned from my mother - "You're not sick, you're pregnant, you can still mop your floor!" My mom knew I hated to be sick. She probably imagined 9 months of crying.

3. The hardest part of parenting that I did not expect was having teenagers. I was too empathetic and had a hard time being strict.

4. Barry proposed to me in a very unromantic way. No I did not see it coming. But 30 years later, it seems to have worked out :)

5. My bedtime routine is: I get up off the couch (cause I always sit on the couch a few minutes and pet the dogs) and the dogs know they have to go outside. I wash my face, brush my teeth. Let the dogs back in. Abby and I go to my room, and I tell Sunny "time for bed" and she goes to the couch.

6. The proudest moment of my life - watching Shelly sing at her own wedding - I was in awe of the bravery that took.

7. Favorite all time movie is "Dazed & Confused" and favorite tv show is "30 Something".

8. If I could change one thing about my childhood, I would have been more athletic.

9. My favorite name is Danny.

10. I wish I knew then that as hard as it is, being a mom to young children is the best time and goes way too fast.

Stacey said...

Also, what was the opinion you wish you had let known at church?

Rox said...

I want you to answer my questions, too, please!
P.S. I'd love to be at Julie's house with you, too! Soon my dear, SOON!

Cassie said...

I'm so glad that I found this post! I've been away from Blogger--trying to refresh and cleanse, I guess you could say.

I love your answers and your questions! You are such a joy to read. :) You remind me of the sky--you always had such a lovely peace about you in school, and imagine it is the same. I've heard of "Women, Food & God," and now I want to get my hands on it immediatey. I'm surprised you struggle in the area of confidence. You exude confidence, but I understand being a woman, pressure, the want to be more for ourselves and our families, etc. I also admire the fact that being a SAHM is something that you feel number one priority. It is so noble. Oh, I can't believe you wrote that long of a book so young! That is awesome!!

Your questions are great, too! I almost want to answer them, too!

xx, Cassie