3.23.2012

Just Write- Laundry

I got this idea from another blog I came across, and I thought it was brilliant.  The idea is to take something, an experience, and just write about it. No tying ideas together, no point. Just stringing words together about something you did or went through.
So when you see "Just Write" in the title, it's just me, expressing what's on my mind, going nowhere in particular.

---

I opened the laundry room door with my right hand, the baby propped awkwardly on my left hip, his head leaning back, making it difficult to maneuver one-handed.  It was warm in there, smelled like dryer sheets & Tide.  I propped the baby up on the cold tile, leaning him against the laundry baskets piled up from a weeks' worth of laundry.  He cooed at me, his eyes still heavy with sleep, a sweet pudgy handprint stretching from his cheek to his forehead from having fallen asleep on it. 

I opened the dryer and put my hand inside.  The warmth touched my sleeves.  My fingers grasped at the sweatshirts and pajama bottoms that made up the load.  I threw each item haphazardly into yet another laundry basket, two feet away, in the kitchen. 

Then I opened the washer, grateful that my replacement had come and I no longer had to catch the rinse water in a pan placed under the unit, and began pulling items out to place in the dryer.  Once the load was in, I reached to my left to grab a dryer sheet and toss it in.

I then placed the next load in the washer to start the cycle all over again.  Tide? check. Downy? check. Correct settings? check.  Pushed start on both units, scooped up the baby, reminding myself that he needed a bib, and closed the door.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm so glad you have a working washer and dryer again!!

Rox said...

What a great idea.
And I KNOW he needed a bib, that made me laugh. Drooly boy!