1.16.2013

not the favorite

When I had children, I assumed that as the mommy, I would be the favorite.  While working, I found this to be true. Logan & Jack had a strong preference for me a majority of the time.  Occasionally they would go through "Daddy phases", but their senses would always return to them, and they would love me most once again.

 Wyatt, however... This kid marches to the beat of his own drum.  And brother loves his daddy. If I had a stethoscope  I would her "da-da, da-da, da-da" playing as the song of his heart.  I console myself with the fact that if I was working, then he might have the chance to miss me, and realize how much I do for him and how great I am.

Meanwhile, every time I go in to get him up from his nap, what used to be my favorite part of the day, scooping up his sweet, squishy, sleepy baby goodness, now consists of him saying immediately upon my arrival, "Daddy gotta work.  Daddy gotta work."  Like, "I appreciate that you came up here to get me, mom, don't get me wrong, but if Daddy weren't at work, and he were the one scooping up my sweet baby goodness, then life would be perfect."

Well, I may not be his favorite anymore, but (shh, don't tell) I think he is still my favorite.

So at least some things are still right with the world.

PS- I have put a lot of thought into why Josh may be the favorite, and I have decided it's because he is so fun. So in an effort to even the playing field, I have been trying very hard to say yes more, to play more, to tickle more and to laugh more.  I would have to say that in the last week I have already seen an improvement in his mommy adoration.  {hip hip hooray!}


5 comments:

Rox said...

Oh my gosh, his legs are so cute. He's grown so much I remember what he looked like in that bouncer/toddler chair when you first got it!
I play on the floor a lot, too. It's good fun and stress relief. Ferris is still a Momma's boy, so milo ends up getting Blake a lot because of that, I wonder if he'll end up a Daddy's boy because of that.

Julie said...

My youngest Alex is the same way! He wouldn't even attempt to say mama for months after he learned dada. It was like marco polo game with him. I'd say mama and he'd say dada. If Aaron is home they would all rather sit with and snuggle him but rarely one of them will pick me. I think it's like you said. I'm around all the time and he leaves five days a week so they have to get the love in when they can. I think your doing great! I'm sure he loves you too he just misses him. I love that your working the odds though!

Emily said...

I have the opposite problem. I am a little smothered right now with all the love. I can't sit down without one or two or all three trying to get on my lap. I can't walk down the stairs without little hands insisting we need to hold hands even though I've got the baby on one hip and a basket of laundry (or something) on the other. And if I dare lock the door for two minutes to go to the bathroom it is tragic. Brandon can be sitting right next to them, but they will seek me out to play a game with or do a puzzle. It's exhausting. I know it won't be like this forever so I try to enjoy it, but you better believe I get a babysitter at least twice a month for a break!

Kasey said...

We are so totally in a Daddy phase right now. But I think it is partly because Daddy stayed home for the first week of our holiday trip and has been traveling for work for the first time ever. Monday he was looking everywhere for Daddy saying "Where he go?" So we stopped by to say hi on the way to school. It was adorable.

Tope Mark Odigie said...

Am feeling too much love tooo, and am sure I'll miss it if it goes but its hectic. At a point I was taking Daniel the younger to the bathroom with me and now that I have stopped he'll cry sooo hard you will think he was spanked. Even with their dad around once I appear they come over with so much excitement. I love it but it can be tiring. What a paradox.