1.17.2013

thursday things...

One of my favorite things about following other blogs is how I can be inspired by others.  A blog I recently started following {on the advice of Cassie over at A Serenade for Solitude} is E tells Tales.  Last night she talked about a personality test she took, and included the link.  So I took the personality test myself, and spent the morning reading all about my personality type and what my strengths and weaknesses are.  

It was incredibly eye opening. Now before you scoff (yes, I hear you scoffing) I will tell you these personality types were created by the famous psychologist Carl Jung, whom I spent a good amount of time in college studying while working towards my degree in Psychology.  So it's legit, people.

Take the test. It's 72 yes/no questions, and won't take long at all. The results are immediate, and you can find information on both your personality type as well as careers that would fit you.  

{Mom, Roxanne & Julie, I expect a full report in the comments section on what type you are... You know, so I can make sure we're compatible. ;) Seriously, take it and read the results. I sat here at the computer with my mouth gaping.  Everything was right on.}

I have yet to convince my husband to take it, but am hoping to cajole him into doing it!

I am an ENJF personality type.
(Extrovert, iNtuitive, Judging, Feeling)
Also known as "The Giver"

Givers are helpers by  nature, can juggle enormous responsibilities, manage details, are well organized, and "are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people."
Seriously.
It said that. 

Did you read my post on words can hurt?  
Truth much?

It also said that givers can intuit the needs of others, are continually looking for better solutions to benefit their families, and tend to neglect themselves for the sake of others.  They put a lot into the main relationships in their lives and are both loyal and trustworthy.

They tend to be good at anything that captures their interest, and that is usually centered around giving love, support and a good time to other people. (Like, perhaps, being a mother?) Givers have a need to be alone, but often don't meet that need because they are focused on others, and struggle with dark thoughts (negativity... over thinking... guilt) when they finally do have alone time.  It actually said that Givers struggle with excessive worry and guilt. 
Yes. Yes, indeed.

They are people pleasers, often sweeping things under the rug for the sake of keeping the peace.  They have a strong desire for closure and struggle when there is none. 



It said Givers tend to be fussy about their home environment and have a very strong desire to control as much as possible in their children's lives.  This, of course, explains why I had such a hard time as a working mom.

Top jobs for Givers include counseling, psychology, and education.  {My degree is in psychology with a minor in human development, and before I became a SAHM, I worked for five years in an elementary school.}
---

I reading two books right now.  

(thanks, Kasey!) 
and
  Call The Midwife by Jennifer Worth.  

The Great Influenza is 546 pages of difficult, medical-jargon filled text.  But the content is fascinating. So I am pressing on.  I would like to finish it by February, but I am not holding my breath.  Call the Midwife is a much easier read.  It's non-fiction and a total page turner about being a midwife in London's East End in the 1950's. I am nearly finished with that one. I think by tomorrow I will be done with it.

When I am done I get to read The Light Between Oceans
which I bought on recommendation from Elizabeth over at E tells Tales. 

Inside flap: 
After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day's journey from the coast.  To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season and shore leaves are granted every other year at best, Tom brings a young, bold and loving wife, Isabel.  Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby's cries on the wind.  A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.  

I cannot wait to get started.
---
I got my workout shoes yesterday ($40 on 6pm.com & they are so cute!) and last night I tried running. It hurt. My ankles are shot. So I am adjusting my 30 workouts in 30 days goal.  I had hoped to run everyday, but now I am planning to do yoga the last fourteen days, to give my tired ankles a rest.  I will still be taking care of my body, and making time for myself, which is really what the goal was all about. Then in February I am hoping to make another goal (somewhat different than January's) to include running.  And maybe even a beaded jump rope.
---
Last night mid-bath with all three boys piled in the tub, water splashing, suds rolling and children squealing, Josh hollers to me, "So... I think this is our last bath like this!"

We had been discussing changing the bath routine, because the three of them barely fit, and it's hard to allow the big boys to play while making sure Wyatt's being safe.  So Friday I will bathe Wyatt by himself at some point during the day, and the twins will continue to have every-other-night baths in the evenings.  I am kind of sad that we've so quickly reached this point.  But I am also excited for the opportunity to give all my attention to Wyatt for a while every other day during his bath time.

Change, especially in parenting, is ever present.
---
In other news, I am thoroughly enjoying being Facebook free.  I am surprised by this. I thought I would miss it. Pine for it.  Have mini-meltdowns as each day passed without so much as a single status update.  But I have just poured a little more of myself into my children and my blog.  I am very happy with the changes.

I have also sorted through my e-mail every morning this week, unsubscribing from all the unnecessary ones (and ones that tempt me to spend money!).  Yesterday I spent some time going through the list of blogs I follow and deleted ones that no longer interest me or are no longer active.  I know that may sound sharp, but I am really focused right now on guarding my time.  And I would only want someone to read my blog if it enhanced their life.  If it took time away from their family or favorite hobby, I would not want them spending that precious time here, in this space.
---
I think Wyatt must have spent some of his time reading yesterday's post about my not being his favorite.  Because last night after I sang him a few songs and told him I was going to put him in his bed, he reached up and stroked my face with his sweet, pudgy hand.  And when I told him, "I love you" he said, "I lols you."
~
Melt my heart.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Interesting about the book you are going to read "Call the Midwife". I just added that to my To Read list on the recommendation of someone else. Did you know it is the beginning of a series? Also just added the one about the lighthouse you mentioned! I can imagine it would get pretty wild with your "3 men in a tub."

Marilynn Raatz said...

First, Wyatt is just a gorgeous baby, I mean toddler :).
He is just a doll. I wish everyone reading the blog could hear him talk. Oh his voice is as cute as he is!
I took the test. I am ESFJ.
extravert, sensing, feeling, judging.
Feeling as opposed to thinking is my biggest percentage. I am sure some of this is my age. I can synpathize with people because at 55 I have experienced a variety of things. It said I enjoy being in charge, delegate well, work hard and play with zest. Well, that sounds like a mother doesn't it?!
Easily wounded - ugh. Heart on sleeve. AND - My right and wrong are at odds with my rescuing, mothering drive. HELLO CODEPENDENCY!!!
Hyper viligent and protector. Well that explains anxiety. Very interesting truly. And I will accept who I am and know I should think more and feel less in certain situations! Love you Shelly!!