7.09.2013

kindness beads

I started something new shortly after we arrived in Washington.
Kindness beads.

I found that I was really focusing on the negative behavior in the boys.  Lots of nagging, redirecting & consequencing, which has its place, but was putting me a grumpy mood. 

I had heard the idea a few times. My sister did something similar called "Caught-ya being good" and they put marbles in a fish bowl for good behavior.

For me, I have been wanting to encourage the boys to put their brothers first.  So if they grab their water bottle, and also grab their brothers', they get a kindness bead. If they listen the first time or go the extra mile helping out, they get a kindness bead.

Once they fill their mini-Mason jar with beads, they will get to pick a prize. So far, they are thinking an afternoon at the local pool would be fun.  I think so, too.

I am not as consistent as I would like to be, but I think I will carry it over to Alaska, and will have more consistency there.  In any event, it has me looking for the good in these little guys, and has inspired them to practice kindness more.

"No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted."
-Aesop

5 comments:

Natalie Britton said...

Ah, I love this! I do something similar in the classroom with "classroom gems." Each time the class collectively shows good behavior, they get a "gem" in a jar. Once the jar is full, the class gets free time. Such an awesome incentive program that teaches children kindness!

♥ Natalie of LIVE TEACH ALASKA

Jessica said...

Great idea! We do marbles in a jar and it is nice for all of us to focus more on positive behaviors!

Rox said...

I think it's time for me to bring the jar back out now that Ferris is older. It's good to see it working for you and the boys. Sometimes I feel like I'm saying, "Stop, don't, NO!" all day long!

Rox said...

PS I like the new layout/fonts and new pictures and your blog!

Kori Hiser said...

I could have posted what Roxanne did! I tried this same concept with Ethan when he was way younger but it never really clicked for him that it was directly connected with his behavior. I'm thinking it probably would now. And, I know I'm saying "STOP! DON'T! NO!" all day. LOL.