5.22.2017

Summer Reading List 2017


The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin
I wanted to read this even before I found out Kate Winslet was making a movie out of it.  It's about two people who survive a plane crash together.

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
I wanted to read this after seeing it on so many "Must Read" lists.  Then I found out it was coming out as a movie, starring Rue from Hunger Games and I knew I had to read it!  It's about a girl who is allergic to basically everything.  But for a chance at love, she's willing to risk everything.  Hence the name Everything Everything.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
This is one of the books published the year I was born (1982) and is one I've always wanted to read.

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
These authors study the oddities of our society and share real statistics about them.  Totally fascinating.

The Magic of Motherhood by Ashlee Gadd
This beautiful book is like a collection of short blog posts, all about different aspects of motherhood.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
I've heard this is similar to The Fault in Our Stars, which I loved. So I can't wait to dive in!

The Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve
If you've been around here for any length of time, you know my favorite-favorite author is Anita Shreve.  I love all her books, even the ones that others say "bombed".  So when I got her newest book as a gift (thank you Linda!) I knew I'd be saving it for one of my Summer Reads.  This one is about a fire in Maine and its aftermath.

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins
This book is about a place in England where women keep killing themselves.  Only, are they killing themselves?  A fascinating whodunit, which crosses that section off on my Summer Reading List Challenge.

The Tailgate by Elin Hilderbrand
This is a short story by one of my favorite authors, and for sure my favorite summer author.  This is a sweet little one about a couple who attend different colleges.

Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
This book is about getting back to basics in your life.  In mothering, homemaking, friendship & marriage.  It's a vulnerable book and one that speaks to my heart.

The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes
This one is about a time after World War II when girls are keeping their promise to marry their beaus after the war.  One particular ship, HMS Victoria, carries 650 of these brides.  The book tells some of their stories.

America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie
This is the story of Thomas Jefferson's oldest daughter, Patsy Jefferson.  It's about how she discovers her father's affairs and has one of her own.  Looks to be a fun and interesting read.

***Links lead to my Amazon Associates Account, 
where I get a little payback on  your purchases.  
Thank you for supporting this blog I love so much!***

1 comment:

Marilynn Raatz said...

Shelly, these are wonderful choices!! I will be reading some of them. I am excited to hear what you think about The Color Purple!