11.05.2017

First Snow: Playing & Organizing

 I want to start this post by saying that I am really proud of myself.  When the kids wanted to go play outside in the snow today (including Carly) I dropped the things on my agenda, and geared up myself to join them.  Carly got to sled for the first time (and loved it!) and walked around, watching her footprints as she went, while her brothers built snow forts and had an epic snowball fight. 
I had assumed with her adventurous spirit she would love the snow, but wasn't sure she'd like the cold.  So I was pleased that she enjoyed it as much as she did.  Josh and I joke that she's our only "Made in Alaska" baby (I found out I was pregnant with her the day I left Alaska for the last time) so it's fitting that she would love this new cold weather experience.  I made memories today, watching Logan push her on the sled for instance, that will stay with me my whole life.  I'm so glad I dropped what I was doing and played with my kids.  It felt really good.












Today was the first snow of the year, and I am so excited to report that I was actually prepared for it!  Last year the snow completely caught me off guard.  The kids had no snow boots that fit, no snow gloves, and everything in the closest was out of order.  This year I was determined to do better. 

We had everything we needed today except a pair of snow boots for Carly, which (thanks to my mom) are on their way to us currently.  Not too shabby!  We had the yard cleaned up, the snow tires on the van, the garage organized and the snowblower running.  We have shovels and sleds and de-icer, and enough coats, hats & boots to keep our kids warm & dry in the winter weather that is to come.  We also have perfect organization in place to help keep track of six sets of boots, coats, hats & gloves.  

Josh had this peg board leftover from his workbench, and he used it to create a drying station in the garage for all the kids' snow gear.  Hooks for snow pants, coats, hats & gloves.  It's brilliant and I'm so grateful he's so handy.  When they come from outside, they can take off their gear and hang it here.  Then, just before I go to bed, when most of it has dripped dry, I bring it all inside so it's warm to put on the following day.  I use an Ikea clothes drying rack to hang everything on in the dining room while we sleep.  


Inside the house, in the hall closet, I did some organizing with the help of an Ikea hat rack and an Ikea shoe rack.  In the black hat rack (seen hanging from the rod) I have a pocket for each member of the family, with their winter hats inside; and near the bottom we have a few slots for regular baseball hats.  It makes looking for & choosing hats so much easier!


And on the closet door, I hung the Ikea shoe holder, which I am using for gloves (and off-season flip flops).  Each member of the family has a spot for their gloves, which (again) makes finding their items so much easier!  Last winter I really had no idea where to put or how to best organize the gear, get it dry every  night, and maintain some semblance of sanity.  After some trial & error, this is what we've come up with, and I feel great about all of it. Here's hoping we spend a lot less time looking for mittens this season!!!

***

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Your organization is SOO smart, especially the garage drying area! I need to check on our winter gear and see what we need - it's so hard to think snow when it's been so warm here. Today, the temps should be in the 70's!! Wish we could come visit you and play in the snow :)

Tabitha Studer said...

I agree with Ashley! Yes to garage drying area. Totally borrowing that idea from you! Carly in that fur hood! Sooooo adorable! And I love that she is your only Alaska made baby and the only one who didn't live in Alaska! I think that makes it special for her too. She's your family's best gift that you get to keep forever from your time there together! Xxooxx (ps. Not jealous of the snow though! Haha I can wait a few more weeks please!)