9.23.2019

Week 37 Around Here {2019}






















"Mornings" by Carly







Reading... Searching for Sylvie Lee on audio and finishing Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  Searching for Sylvie Lee had me listening every minute I got the chance. It was really good.  Maybe You Should Talk to Someone was good (I loved all the psychology advice and the therapist's perspective #totaltherapynerd) but it wasn't a page turner like I thought it would be.  Just a 3 star book for me.

Shopping... for new furniture on Saturday while our mother-in-law (bless her!) had all four kids for us.  We found a new couch for the living room, a reading chair for my bedroom (swoon!), new mattresses for the boys' beds and a new bedroom set for Josh and myself.  It's white and looks like a sleigh... it's super dreamy!  I've never had a headboard and feel like a certified grown up now. Hah!

Anticipating... the next steps for my in-laws house.  It's been so exciting to watch as their house has been built from the ground up on the land they purchased nearly two years ago.

Hanging... curtains in all the windows finally.  It's really starting to feel homey and every room I walk in puts a huge smile on my face.  I am just feeling so blessed to be here.

Riding... the boys' four wheelers with them after a little shopping with just Jack on Sunday.  I have never even watched them ride their quads, let alone ridden with them.  (Because I know myself- and I knew that if I watched them ride I would never want to let them ride again. Hah!!!) But Jack convinced me to give it a try, and Grandma Carol let me borrow her cute pink helmet.
I think mostly I screamed, but it was REALLY fun!  Jack is the easiest to ride with cause he knew to slow down on the turns and always warned me before he went really fast.  Wyatt is a TOTAL daredevil, and I thought I might die while I was with him, or at the very least end up in the ER having to explain to some reasonable doctor why I thought it was a good idea to get behind the wheel while my 8 year old was driving. I couldn't get off that thing fast enough. Hahah! I would have never guessed that he was such a crazy driver!
Logan was DRUNK with power, knowing that I had no control while he was driving, so he kept going and going, taking me round and round at full blast, nearly tipping us over twice because he had trouble adjusting to my additional weight on the back.  It was an adventure, that's for sure.  These boys are keeping me young.

Weeding... the front yard with my sister while our crazy crew ran around in the house.  The front walk looks gorgeous now and I was so happy to be able to show her our new digs now that we're a little more settled.  (She had last seen it the day we were moving in.)  She brought some great housewarming gifts, too- new glasses and cutting boards- which was so sweet!

Receiving... two more amazing housewarming gifts this week as well.  One from my friend Shana- a set of new snapware for leftovers that is the cutest!  And the other is a set of 8 different colored Fiestaware plates, the medium size, which I have been wanting forever, from my mom.  Thanks ladies!!! You make a girl feel so loved!

Dealing... with a bully with one of my kids and really feeling that whole "Having a kid is like having your heart beat outside your body" quote.
So, so hard.
But we talked with the counselor and some teachers and I think the problem is solved.  At least I hope so.  The kid was name calling (regarding weight) and just really beating our kiddo down.  It was heartbreaking.  I am so grateful my son knew he could tell me and that together we could get it resolved after just a few weeks of it happening.

Getting... sick for the first time this season.  Yuck.  I didn't miss that this summer.  I am so snotty and my eye won't quit watering and I just want to sleep, sleep, sleep.  Logan and Wyatt got sick, too, but no one seems to have gotten it quite as bad as I did.  So this week required a lot of self care- naps, early bedtimes, good food and Netflix.

Shocked... that it's been four years since we found out Babyham #4 was a girl.  I still remember so clearly what life with all boys was like.  I still remember so clearly going into that ultrasound and telling her I wasn't finding out the sex, but if she could write it in an envelope for me to give my sister, that'd be great.  And I will ALWAYS remember the reveal and how my eyes instantly teared up when I saw the pink confetti floating down.  All my dreams of motherhood were coming true.
I had my boys, those three brothers, whom I loved fiercely, and now I would have my daughter, their sister.  A little one to soften our edges and slow down their growing up.  And she has done just that. 

Laughing... out loud when I read the answer to "Tell how you solved the problem" on Wyatt's math sheet.
"I'm smart" he wrote confidently.
I was dy.ing. when I showed Josh and he too busted up.  When Wyatt's big brothers saw they couldn't believe he had the audacity to write that and asked Wyatt what his teacher had said.  He said that she didn't say anything.  But we encouraged him to actually answer the question next time.  Even if his answer was funny.  And true.

Also laughing... when I found Carly's "phone" on Josh's wireless charger one morning after we had walked Wyatt to the bus stop.  When I asked her why it was there she said distractedly, "Oh, it's charging." Like, duh mom.

Discouraged... when I showed up for the twins' middle school open house (having left Josh and the two little kids at home for bedtime) only to be told that it was being run to mimic your child's school day, with bells signaling the end of each class, etc.  When I approached the principal and told her of my predicament (two students/one parent...) she laughed and said, "Just pick one, I guess" like it was no big deal.  Then Jack said, "Yeah, who's your favorite mom?"
There were at least two emails that went out about this, and a paper that went home as well, and none of them gave us an outline of the evening.  If the agenda had been made public, I would have shown up with Josh and we would have divided and conquered.  Instead I found myself trying to meet 14 teachers in 7 time slots and running all over their school like a chicken with my head cut off.  It was very frustrating.  And I know I'm not the only twin mom of sixth graders.  There are at least four of us.  And those are just the ones I know of. #twinmomprobs
On a less negative twin note- isn't it fascinating the size difference between my twins?!? Jack is SO much taller than Logan!  I find it really interesting.  Most identical twins only differ by two inches (at the MOST) in height.  These guys are closer to four inches apart.

Enjoying... my day-long break from Carly on Thursday.  She goes to spend the day with Grandma and I get a day to myself.  This week I unpacked more boxes, getting our room emptied and felt really pleased with the progress.

Searching... for an entry table for our new house, to hold our keys and stuff.  I'm looking for a half round table (like these).

Very happy... with how the twins' room turned out.  They are LOVING it, and despite it being a little cramped, it's actually super functional.  They are in there everyday after school using their desks to do homework.  I love it!
I'm also very happy with our new furniture, which was delivered Tuesday.  The couch is gorgeous (!) and the chair in my bedroom may just be my new happy place!

***

No comments: