10.17.2019

Week 41 Around Here {2019}









{Can you spot Ramona?}

























Escaping... parenting for a weekend, leaving the kids with Josh's parents so we could get away and celebrate our belated 16th wedding anniversary.  The weekend was absolutely lovely.  We spent nearly all of it in our hotel room, watching TV, reading, sleeping, eating and napping.  It was exactly what we needed after a crazy summer prepping the house for sale; moving; and then starting the school year. I am so grateful we were able to do that.

Reading... Fahrenheit 451 and We Are Okay while Josh and I were away for the weekend, holed up in a hotel with my husband.  It was so luxurious to be able to read entire books without interruption.  I loved Fahrenheit 451 and want to watch the movie next.  We Are Okay was just an okay read for me. It didn't feel like a well developed novel and I was left wanting.
 I also read about #6 Enneagrams in The Wisdom of the Enneagram over the weekend have been listening to The Quintland Sisters, a story about the Dionne quintuplets, five identical babies born to a couple in Canada in 1934.  (Can you even imagine? Five?!?)
Later this week I started The Farm, which was not what I thought it would be (I was imagining a book more like The Handmaid's Tale), but that I have enjoyed nonetheless.

Receiving... the second of Elin Hilderbrand's new winter series.  I got the first, Winter in Paradise, last year, but never read it, and the second, What Happens In Paradise, was just released.  So I am making my reading lists for November and December, excited for the chance to read them back to back.  Her previous winter series (Winter Street series) is one of my favorites of all time.  I highly recommend it.

Impressed... by Wyatt's running at school during Junior Joggers.  In the past he would barely eke out two laps, hating every minute.  But since joining wrestling and doing all the training they do, he's been running up to 6 laps during Junior Joggers, feeling pumped and so proud of himself.

Making... homemade tortillas this week and loving Carly's help.  She is such a little helper in all areas.  One day this week I made graham crackers with chocolate frosting for snack and before I got downstairs after her nap, she had gotten plates down for everyone and was passing out snacks for when brother's got home from school.  That little sweetheart. {swoon}

Taking... Wyatt to the dentist (no cavaties- yay!) and feeling proud of how far Carly has come as she took the hygenist's offer to sit in the big chair and help with Wyatt's treatment. I feel like the more exposure she has to the dentist and all their tools, the more comfortable she will continue to become.  Wyatt was also a great example of cool calm and I'm so grateful for that!

Laughing... when Jack emptied a glue stick so he could fill it with Starburst candies to make it look like he was eating glue.  I don't think I will ever fully understand middle schoolers.

Shaking... my head as Wyatt drug his backpack down the walkway, across the driveway and to the bus stop on Monday because he was grumpy.  I was stifling a smile because #monday. I feel you, kid.

Decorating... for Halloween and loving Carly's enthusiasm for every single detail.  She exclaimed over every spider, pumpkin and leaf; and when Josh got home she said, "Dad! You HAVE to see this!" and took his hand and lead him upstairs to show him the spooky things in her room.  Soo cute!

Hosting... our old neighbor kids for a playdate and dinner on Wednesday.  We were all so happy to spend some quality time with Cristian and Coral after months apart. Oh, how we miss having them across the street! Thankfully their mom and I have stayed in touch and have made plans to get the kids together a little more often. They are the sweetest kids and the best family.

Happy... that the twins have art club after school once a week.  Jack is in art this quarter and he loves it, but it doesn't come naturally to him. So that extra time in the classroom with the teacher is helpful.  And Logan loves it, so it's win/win!

Understanding... Carly's heart when she wants all the brothers to read bedtime stories with her each night.  That said, it's sure frustrating when they are showering/brushing/getting ready for bed and I just want to lay her down and she's all, "I want brothers! I want us all TOGETHER."
So there has been a lot of bedtime stories together as a family, especially now that all the Halloween books are out for the season.

Sharing... a goodbye dinner with my girlfriend Jolene who is moving to Alaska with her husband and four girls in a month's time.  I am going to miss her so much and am so grateful for the friendship she has provided me during the three years we have lived here together.  She has taught me how to be a better friend.

Surprised... by the early deep freeze we had and staring at the sprinklers I drove past on the way to drop Carly off at Grandma's.  The length of the icicles on them was insane!




***

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You are on a reading roll this month!! So inspired by you. XOXO