10.26.2019

Week 43 Around Here {2019}








{November TBR}









{Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name}


{The kid's orthodontist is so much fun! Haha!}






Making... my November reading list & feeling really excited about it. I have read twelve books so far in October, and feel confident I will hit 14 (maybe even 15) by month's end, so making my reading list for November was super fun because I feel like I will be able to get through so many good books!



Remembering... that I wanted to tell you all I quit Monat.  It seemed to help for a while with growing my hair back (after it fell out from stress) but then it didn't seem like it was helping anymore and with the cost, I couldn't keep buying it if it wasn't FOR SURE helping. I used it for a solid nine months, and I'm glad I did, but I am equally as happy to be done sinking that kind of money into my hair every month.

Creating... our yearly Christmas cards after we got a super cute snap of our family at the pumpkin patch last week.  Shutterfly was running a 40% off coupon, and I had a free shipping code, so I ordered them and now they are done!

Reading... Tuesdays with Morrie, and The Pull of the Moon this week.  I also listened to The Aviators Wife and Gift from the Sea (one is about Anne Morrow Lindbergh, the other is written by Anne Morrow Lindbergh; both are really good!) and also The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker, which reminded me of Station Eleven. I couldn't stop listening. It was so good!
I've finished 75 books so far and that is just mind boggling to me. Last year I only read 68 books total. So to be at 75 books with two months left to go is really exciting! (Could I be more of a book nerd? Hah!)

Nursing... Wyatt fully back to health after a scary week last week.  The oral steroids finally started working their magic (a little slower than I would have liked) and his breathing is back to normal.  I ordered him some new nebulizer parts and I am hopeful that having a fresh mask next time he's sick will help him.  Unbeknownst to us, his old mask had a hole in the tube, so he wasn't getting his medicine as effectively as he should have been.  Old Shelly would have blamed herself endlessly for this, but New Shelly knows that life happens and all we can do is move forward.  Deep breaths.

Adulting... and getting 3 cavities filled, plus my cleaning done at the dentist, as well as getting groceries (even though I did not want to go that day) and attending our school district insurance night.  (Josh's school district is switching insurance this year, so there was a TON of information to gather. Whew!)

Hosting... our old neighbors for chili & cornbread Sunday and feeling so happy to have them over.  We are all missing each other, so it was great to get together.
That day I suffered a migraine, so I took a nap before they came over and bless Josh, he made both the chili and the cornbread from scratch.  Yum!

Cooking... tortillas with Carly's help for enchiladas on Monday.  They were delicious and turned out great and Carly had a great (read: messy) time helping. ;)
I made some chocolate chip zucchini bread this weekend & it was super yummy with my coffee each morning.
I also enjoyed some chocolate eyeballs (a Cunningham kid favorite around Halloween time) and sweet potato fries that I had with our cheeseburgers Wednesday.  I find it ridiculous how much I love sweet potato fries.

Attending... Logan's first choir concert of the year.  I was so proud of him, and it brought back so many memories of my own years of choir concerts.  The only bummer was that Carly hadn't napped that day, so sister was a handful!!!

Loving... how when Carly is coloring she always has out markers only in an array of pinks, reds & purples.
And also loving how we spent our rainy Saturday last weekend- playing Play Doh, all four kids and I, making ice cream and french fries and popsicles; growing Orbeez (those cool little beads that grow when you put them in water) and playing with them for hours; and following all of that up with pizza & cookies for move night.  The kids watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which is hilarious, and we all really enjoyed ourselves.

Organizing... the very last boxes in the house thanks to the help of my bestie Shana.  You know when a project is so overwhelming that you just don't even want to start? That was this project for me. So when Shana stopped by and was willing to jump in with me, I was almost weepy with gratitude.  Seriously later that evening when I was thinking of my afternoon, I teared up.  I am just so thankful for friends who know when you need a little (or a lot of) help.

Enjoying... our family dinners lately which have been filled with lots of laughter & talking.  It also brings me joy that Josh started reading his favorite book from childhood (The Giver) to the boys this week. They are loving it!!!

Dressing... Carly and her friend Kamden up as Gecko & Owlette from PJ Masks during their playdate on Friday morning.  Kara and I had so much fun visiting while these two played, and we about died of cuteness after we dressed them up.

Listening... and crying to "I Know You By Heart" by JJ Heller.  Gah, so good.  You know when a song just makes you feel heard & understood? This is that song for me.

I see you packing all the lunches
Loading all the kids into the van
Tonight you'll tuck them in at bedtime
Tomorrow you will do it all again

... You are enough
You matter in this world

Every second I am proud of who you are
Although you feel forgotten and invisible
I see you and I know you by heart

{agreed!!!}
Missing... my kids as babies & small children.  It is so surreal to me that the twins and Wyatt are eleven and eight.  Lately especially I am wistful for the mornings from before we had to wake up and get them ready and send them off to school everyday.  It's hard to find the balance between reminiscing over the past and staying here in the present.
What is helping me lately is what Kelle Hampton says to herself when she starts to feel panicky about time slipping by: "There is more."  So when I start to panic about Carly approaching her fourth birthday, or the fact that there is only a year and a half before she starts school, I take a breath and remind myself, "There is more."  More memories, more laughter, more love.  More goodness, more stories, more things to someday be nostalgic for.
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I also agree with what Kelle said about supporting older kids' emotional needs.  I was not prepared for this, guys, and it is a whole different level than even newborn baby twins.  haha!  Middle school might just be the death of me.


Laughing:

Josh sent me this:
{accurate. the struggle is real.}

Loving this advice:

***

2 comments:

Ashley said...

"There is more." I love that.

Hollyparlier said...

Luke is Catboy for Halloween!!!! We are flying out there for your next playdate. ;) And yes on all the emotions as big kids get bigger. I find myself just eating Luke and Isabel up because they really do grow so fast. And of course I love having girls, but Katherine is remarkably mature for a not quite 7 yr old- there are already so many things that she considers babyish that the boys didn't until much older. Ugh! And wyatt will be 12 in January but he so badly wanted to be a cowboy for Halloween and I found a story he wrote about cowboys and I am just cherishing that he is still "young" for his age - you know? Anyway, hugs to you - we are in this all together!