10.23.2020

Around Here: Week 40 2020













































Luxuriating... in a quick trip away with my bestie.  We swam in a gorgeous pool, at breakfast in our room, perused some cute downtown shops (masked up, of course) and even went to Target! Oh how I miss having a Target!

Driving... home from our quick trip while listening to Nickel Boys on audio. It was a devastating read, but so good.

Happy... to be home with Carly again and tucking her sweet self into bed.  She said that when I'm gone her heart is blue like tears, but when we are in her bed snuggling together her heart is a rainbow. I can't even with that girl.

Starting... Week Three of distance learning at home with the boys and taking a different tack. The twins and I are now going through their English & Science lessons together each day and taking notes.  Then when it's time for a test, I have them read their questions and all answer options out loud to me.  Their scores have dramatically improved, and I literally squealed with Jack got 100% on one of the quizzes.  We worked hard for that!
We also worked this week on scientific notation and main ideas... it's a good thing I enjoy learning and teaching or this would be 100x worse. As it is, it's a real challenge!

Starting... my day Tuesday with some quiet time to myself before the kids woke up. Those are always the best days, although it's really hard to make myself climb out of bed that early.

Watching... the presidential debate in its entirety and feeling pretty sad about the state of things. 

Seeing... the doctor for my yearly check up and discussing my IUD, my migraines, my foot pain (apparently it's from wearing flip flops all summer. go figure!) and had him check on my moles and freckles for any abnormalities. It feels good (especially since I suffer from such severe health anxiety) to have those things all crossed off my list.

Saying... goodbye to cousins & in-laws as Josh's sister & her family headed back home after an extended stay.  Carly was so so sad to say goodbye to her BCF (Best Cousin Ever), Liesel, but we assured the girls they will see each other again soon.

Noticing... a running theme in my life which is the dishes being out.of.control.  Something about schooling the boys and running a household at the same time has me constantly behind in the kitchen and on laundry.

Visiting... the pumpkin patch before the season officially opened so we could still make memories but avoid crowds.  There was only one other group of people there, and instead of a hayride to the pumpkin choosing patch, we just walked. It was perfect.  Great weather and fun memories, including Wyatt rolling a 79 pound pumpkin through the patch to our wagon, and his brothers helping him load it on. He is so proud of that thing. It's sure gonna take some work to empty and carve it though! Hah!

Celebrating... Milo's birthday at my sister's house with our crew and my parents and having such a good time. Parties at my sister's are always the best- she does fabulous decorating and makes the greatest gift bags for the kids. And her cake for Milo? With the Jurassic theme? Too cute!!!
We also got to meet my sister's foster kittens, Dusty & Cora, and we are all enamored.  They were found orphaned and so she is their mama.  Feeding them and caring for them until they are big enough to be adopted out. 

Reading... The Road Back To You on audio (it is fascinating to me, and helping me understand those around me so much more! Do you enneagram? I'm a six, and I feel so seen whenever I read about sixes.) I am also working my way through Gilead in preparation for Lila which is October's book club pick.  I am really enjoying Gilead, but it's one that I am reading slowly, pen in hand, and find myself contemplating long after I've put it down. It's about a pastor who is writing his life story (and thoughts) out for his young son, and it's very contemplative. 

Receiving... an amazing gift from my dad. He gave me my very own acoustic guitar after I expressed an interest in learning how to play.  I am so excited to give it a try!!! He and my grandma (his mom) both play, and it's something I've wanted to try for a while.

*





***

And lastly, there is this:


Josh sent me this picture, and I felt so loved, validated and seen.
To my mama friends who are also "doing it all",
I see you.
Good job.

***


No comments: