7.18.2022

Shelly's Summer Book List

Looking forward to summer reading is one of the absolute highlights of my year.  


I always enjoy compiling a list (with Modern Mrs. Darcy's help) 
of books that I want to read May through September. 

This year those books include:

  • The Love of My Life by Rosie Walsh (my book club pick)
  • Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand
  • Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  • We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han
  • Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn
  • Migrations by Charlotte McConaghy
  • The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
  • Summer Island by Kristin Hannah
  • Summer's Child by Diane Chamberlain
  • The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
  • The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

Audio Books I plan to borrow from the library via Overdrive/Libby:

  • Take My Hand by Dolen Perkins-Valdez
  • A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Not pictured/Books to Acquire over Summer:

  • Fellowship Point by Alice Elliott Dark 
  • The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd
  • The Bomb Shelter by Mary Laura Philpott
  • To Night Owl From Dog Fish by Holly Goldberg Sloan & Meg Wolitzer
  • French Braid by Anne Tyler

My big "project" book for the summer is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I have had this on my shelf for 3+ years, so I finally decided I was going to tackle it.  I ordered these rainbow book tabs on Amazon and broke the book up into both chapters (there are 52) and parts (there are four).  For some reason doing that made it feel so much more readable.  If I read a chapter each day, I could finish before summer is over!

This is the book I jumped into summer with. 
28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand, and let me tell you, it has NOT disappointed. 


Lastly, I want to share my all-time favorite summer reads:

  • Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand
  • The Island by Elin Hilderbrand
  • Body Surfing by Anita Shreve
  • Sea Glass by Anita Shreve


I am curious: 

Is there a big book that intimidates you that you haven't started yet? What's holding you back?
What books are you looking forward to reading this summer? 
What is your all-time favorite summer read?

I can't wait to hear!!

2 comments:

Marilynn Raatz said...

I totally agree with your all time summer reads!! French Braid was so good, as was The Love of My Life! The Shell Seekers is from 1987 and I loved it!! Prince of Tides is a wonderful read, and movie, and your cousin Savanna is named from this book! I read that one more than once! I love your recommendations and will reference these!

Cindy said...

Just going to throw this out to you health wise. Two summers ago I was very active. I did 5-5k races plus my husband and I over the course of the spring, summer and into fall put on 500 miles biking. Last summer, I started with a moderate case of Chronic Fatique.
It was rough pushing myself to get through each day. Medically nothing was showing up! Finally mid-Oct. I went to a very reputable applied kinesiologist. After a couple of months of treatment, he had me back on track! This included going off many of what I thought were good supplements and switching to other healthier ones, along with chiropractic adjustments and switching to a Paleo diet. I am not TOTALLY on that but I just try to follow as much as possible! Wondering if it would help your fibromyalgia and maybe migraines? Just a thought!
Also Carly’s hair is so cute cut! Our oldest/ only granddaughter is 6, she has long hair but has been blessed with a nice amount of curl in the back!