7.06.2010

binkies & balloons

A long while ago, Josh & I decided the time was coming for the boys to lose their binkies.  We had thought originally we would do it as soon as I was home for the summer.  But their crib climbing abilities had us moving them into their big boy beds (much) earlier than expected, and that pushed the bye-bye binky date further back.


Then this weekend we were out of town (and out of our minds) so we chose today.  
Today the boys are two years & one month old,
and binky-less.


I was putting the boys to bed the other night, thinking of how I was going to do this. How were we going to explain to them that their binkies were all done, all gone, no more???  At first, I thought we would go to a park we never went to before, and throw them away.


Then, it came to me. We would send them up with balloons. The boys LOVE balloons, so I knew they'd be excited, and I knew that even at this young age, they would remember playing with balloons in a field and sending their binkies bye-bye with them.


We let them have their binkies all morning. Then when we handed them the balloons with binkies tied in the strings, Logan asked, "Help, please?" He wanted his binky off the balloons.  I had been telling them for a few days that pretty soon the binkies were going to be bye-bye.  And on Monday I told them that the binkies were going to go bye-bye with balloons.  So he knew what was coming. 


As we let go of the balloons, the boys said, "Bye binkies! Bye balloons!"


And as those beautiful boquets of balloons, with those green binks attached, got smaller & smaller, the boys ran off to play at the park, seemingly unphased.


 That is, until we got in the car. Then, Logan lost it. LOST.IT. He cried, hysterically, the entire.way.home.
Josh & I thought we were going to lose our minds.
What had we done?


Even Jack was wondering what we were thinking, as he attempted to block Logan's screaming from getting in his ears!
  By the time we got home, both boys were fine, and they went down for naps without a hitch.  So other than Logan's initial dismay, it has been smooth sailing, and I am so thankful!

7 comments:

Marilynn said...

I am laughing and crying at the same time. Jack is so cute blocking the crying, but Logan is soooo upset.
Oh man! I am proud of you and Josh, and I know the boys will be absolutely fine and better for this!

Julie said...

Brilliant idea! I'm so glad it worked!

Laura said...

What a GREAT idea! I had just been talking to Troy about this very subject... how do we say goodbye to the binkies? Obviously I'm no where near needing to worry about this, but the thought crossed my mind anyways. This was a great way to make it an event and a fairly fun and happy one at that. They seemed to handle it well over all. Props to you for such a wonderful idea! :-)

Barb said...

Oh my...you wove a lovely story with a gentle and creative way of saying goodbye to the binkies - and then you had me laughing out loud! What a great way to help them transition to the next phase of being binkie-less.

Sarah said...

YOU ARE AMAZING. Everything I read is so inspiring and just incredible. You are seriously SUPER MOM!! And the pictures of the boys in the back are PRICELESS!!! Thank you for posting this, for moms everywhere!!!!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LIndsey said...

LOVE the idea and I seriously LOVE the pictures! Although Logan is so sad its so cute at the same time and I love how Jack is plugging his ears haha. Lily use to do that sometimes when Lydia would cry.
Such cute boys and I am proud of you and them! Yay for no more binkies! I know the day will come when I have to take Lydia'a away and I might have to use this idea!