12.12.2010

what is right

 "And let us not get tired of doing what is right, 
for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing 
if we don't get discouraged and give up."
-Galatians 6:9
 I came across that scripture this weekend as I was thinking about where I'm at in life and it was a much needed reminder. I am doing God's work. In being a faithful and supportive wife to Josh; in being a loving and patient mother to Jack & Logan; in being a teacher to my students at school.  In all these ways (and more) I am doing work that will have long term benefits if I take the time to do things right.
 So after we all got sick, and both boys were diagnosed with double ear infections, I discovered (via my new, sensitive, pregnancy nose) that there is a mold issue in the boys' bedroom.  So until that issue is resolved (people are coming out Monday to take a look) we have been camping out.  We've been napping (the three of us) on our bed in the bedroom, and sleeping (the three of us) on the couch & in playpens at night time.  While this has proved challenging, I know I am doing the right thing in protecting the boys as much as I can from the mold in their room until it is remedied.
And actually, it has made for some really nice moments.  Laying down to take a nap with them on Saturday afternoon was such a luxury.  To lay, snuggled on our down comforter, bubbas & blankets all around us, was so peaceful and beautiful.  It has allowed me to slow down.  We read a few books before we all fell asleep and slumbered nearly two hours together.  And tonight after I read to them I told them (with lights out) that I would sing Sunshine to them.  Normally we do Sunshine twice.  Josh does it with Logan, and me with Jack, and then we switch. But while putting them to sleep in our room, I've been doing the reading and such on my own.  I thought they would enjoy Sunshine as we skipped it last night, but instead Jack had a special request.  He said quietly, "I love you forever."  I replied, "I love you, too, buddy.  You ready for Sunshine?" and he said, "No. I love you forever, mommy, you sing it?"
Then I got it.
You know the book Love You Forever? The tear jerker that never leaves a dry eye? The one by Robert Munsch where the Mommy sneaks into the boys' room at night and rocks him slowly back & forth, back & forth, back & forth? Well, lately that book has been a favorite (I think because the little boy flushes the Mommy's watch down the toilet...) and when I read it, I have a little melody that I sing to go with the words she sings to her son.
"I'll love you forever...
I'll like you for always...
As long as I'm living,
my baby you'll be."
And Jack wanted me to sing it to him. And so we lay, three bugs in a rug (Jack::Logan::Mommy) and I sang, over & over "I Love You Forever" just like Jack wanted, with my arm draped over both my boys.
I could have melted into a happy little love puddle.
It felt so good...
doing what is right.

1 comment:

Rox said...

Beautiful! How nice to get some extra special cuddle time with them!