4.09.2012

At a loss

It is 5:30 in the morning and I've been up for three hours.  No, no. Not with the baby.  With Logan. He first woke up at 2:30, and I heard him playing with his bedroom door.  I got up and he was just standing in the hallway.  He told me he wanted a drink.


We used to leave a water bottle in the boys' room to drink if they needed, but then they were needing to pee at 5:00am, and would get out of bed (or stay in bed and pee...but that's a different story) instead of staying in bed until the light turned green on their stoplight alarm clock at 6:00am.  So we took away the water bottles.  But lately Logan has been waking me up to get a drink, so I am wondering if I should give them back or if he's just saying that.
So I gave him a drink and tucked him back in, reminding him that getting out of bed while the light was red is naughty.  He was up again at 3:45am, which makes me wonder if he ever fell back asleep.  And if he didn't, today could very well suck. (Actually, even if he slept, it's going to suck because I didn't.)

At 3:45am he came in our room and said, "I need a hug." 
Now I am not completely heartless, but for the love of everything holy why is he awake at nearly four in the morning and needing a hug? So I asked him why.  He couldn't really seem to answer me, just told me that he's scared and asked me if all the doors were locked on the house.
I assured him that they were as we walked back to his room and then he said, "So no bad guys can get in here?"  I hugged him as I tucked him in his bed and told him he was safe, Mommy & Daddy would take care of him and the door was indeed locked. Twice.

I crawled back in my own bed and the baby woke up at 4:30am and would not go back to sleep.  So here I sit, on the computer in the dark downstairs, wishing that I had gone to bed earlier and that Logan had slept through the night because the baby slept ten hours in a row.

I really don't know what to do about Logan. This waking up thing has been an issue for about two or three weeks now.  What tricks do you use to comfort your kids in their beds?  I was thinking of giving him a special blanket or sweatshirt of mine and telling him it would keep him safe... I just don't know what to do, but I do know I can't function on three or four hours of sleep. 
Help me! Any & all advice is welcome.

3 comments:

Jolene said...

I think something of yours is a good idea. has he watched something with bad guys in it? if so do what your doing reinsuring him. also before bed let him lock the doors with you even windows. then he knows for sure. water maybe with just a little in the bottle. thats all I have sorry.

Life goes on said...

HI,
you should look up cloud b turtles. they have a hard shell and soft body. they have a 45 minute timer for when kids wake up scared they have 3-4 color options to press and its has a constellation to have on the ceiling for comfort.
i love it.

Kasey said...

Maybe try giving him a water bottle again, but only a small amount of water so that he won't have to pee?