2.26.2013

26 & Tuesday

Psst! Hey kids, wanna freak your mom out?  Develop a rash to go along with your fever, and then, while playing Lego's with your brother, tell her your neck hurts.  

Did it work?
It did?
See, I told ya!

That was my Sunday.  With Logan.
Holy mother freak out. I don't think I took a breath from the moment he said it, until twenty minutes later when the advice nurse had talked me down off the ledge.

Here we are on Tuesday and both his fever and rash are gone. 
Hallelujah!

---

 Wyatt must be reading my posts on his genius and then researching ways to out-do himself.
Yesterday he counted to ten completely independently.
He never ceases to amaze me.

---

My sister wrote this post about sleep.
It's brilliant.
And also funny because I was going to post about sleep today.  Since Logan has been sick, the last few nights I have stopped into the boys' room to check on him before I go to bed. I normally don't allow myself this luxury because the risk of waking them is too great.  But last night I quietly crept in, brushed the hair off the twins' foreheads, pulled their blankets cozy around their growing bodies, and thanked God for them.  

I watched the baby the longest.  He was asleep on his belly, with his right hand balled up in a fist and the other curled around his beloved taggie.  His back rose and fell with his breath, and I felt such tenderness for him.  

I told my sister in my comment on her blog that in those moments, watching them sleep, my love for my children, my dedication and my resolve to do right by them is renewed.  They are so innocent, precious and vulnerable.  It really puts my role as their mother in perspective.

---

I like today.
For two reasons.
26 is my favorite number.
And also, Tuesday is my favorite day of the week.

---
Do you have things on your to-do list that never seem to get done?
Yet you refuse to remove them from the list?
I have the following on my list:

Find a new recipe album/notebook idea that works
(right now I have everything folded up or wadded into a tiny recipe box that is a disaster. Cakes next to appetizers, drinks mixed up with main dishes... It makes me want to memorize all my recipes... Or maybe I could just actually/finally put together a useful recipe organizer.)

Re-do my phone book
(I bough a new phone book for myself before Wyatt was born. So, sometime in early 2011.  Maybe even in 2010. It sits on the shelf in our house in Alaska now, waiting oh-so-patiently to be filled with neat handwriting and correct addresses.  I use my address book now more than ever, and still it sits undone.)

Sort through my magazines
(This one I actually started yesterday. I was quite proud of myself.  I have a stack of over fifty magazines on a shelf in my room. I never, never pull them off to look at them once they are there, so it's a total waste of space.  I have committed to passing my magazines on to Susan & Leah from now on, but I still have to get rid of the old ones.  Why can't I just throw them out? What is wrong with me? Instead I spent the two hours of Biggest Loser looking through each magazine before tossing it.  Hey, at least I am making some progress!)

Hang a picture in my room that came down when I re-arranged our furniture
(This one is tough cause every time I am in my room and think of it, it's bedtime.  And I resolve to remind Josh- my handy man- that I'd like it hung. And inevitably I forget. I really wish I would remember because that picture brings me such happiness. It reminds me of the birches we had in our front yard as a girl.  In the summer they would be full of caterpillar nests.  The fuzzy orange and black caterpillars would fall out into the grass and we would carry them around the neighborhood in tiny caterpillar homes we would make from old margarine tubs with holes poked in the top.  We did the same thing with potato bugs we found.)

Clean the bathrooms
(This is perpetually on my to-do list, and actually only gets accomplished twice a month.  For a while I was cleaning the bathrooms, the whole house actually, once a week, but it was exhausting and I felt like it was not the best use of my time.  I try to remind myself what they always say, "There will be time for a clean house later.")

---

 My husband is the best. 
And I am a wimp.  

I cut myself yesterday while making dinner (slicing onions) and then last night I had a hangnail and I pulled it. This resulted in a bleeding fingernail and ridiculous amount of pain in relation to the size of the injury.  So this morning I asked Josh if I could have a BIG favor. I asked him to do all the dishes.  The sink (both sides) were FULL from dinner last night. (Remember, after I laid the kids down I sorted through magazines while popping mini York Peppermint patties and watching The Biggest Loser instead of doing any chores???)  He said yes, and washed every single dish before leaving for work.  He is my teeny-tiny-finger-injury hero.

---

Funnies: 
my three kids crack me up...

The other day Logan was playing with some guys and they were, of course, fighting and one of the guys goes, "What are you doing? Trying to rip out my DNA?" 

When Wyatt wakes up in his crib, and we don't go in quickly, he starts talking.  "Poop Einstein!" is one of his favorites because it cracks the twins up.  He will also say, in a sing-song voice, "Daadddy... Where are you???"  And yesterday he combined the two with, "Poop Daddy! Poop Daddy!" causing the twins to giggle in hysterics in their beds.

This afternoon Jack noticed that the weather widgit on our computer screen said 10.  
10 is the magic number. 

If it's 10 degrees out, and not too windy, I will take the boys out. He was so adorably excited. "Mom! Mom! It's a ten! And it's got sunshine!" 

I went and got more clothes for them to wear, and when Jack was putting on his under shirt he was like, "I'm glad this isn't a snake shirt."
Confused, I asked what he meant. 
He goes, "You  know, the one that touches all over my neck? Like a snake?"
Giggling, I said, "You mean a turtle neck?"

---

And lastly, I wanted to give you an update: we managed to move forward with the twins.  It took some bribery (read: LOADS of bribery) but Monday morning they slept until the light was green.  In return, they got gum, stickers, tablet time, special cereal for breakfast, and a chance to play Wii Resort Sports, which they have never played before.





They (obviously) loved it!
My plan worked perfectly and they slept in again today!
I hope they do it again tomorrow!!!

3 comments:

Rox said...

Oh my GOOSSSHHH, those last pictures of Logan... LOVE. Great job, those are wonderful.

There was an organizer on Katie Couric's show that said people don't get rid of things because of the anxiety that comes along with it. There can be anxiety because people think that getting rid of the "thing" will get rid of the memory or that time in their life. Not sure if that will help but thought I'd pass that along.

Great post and I hope the boys keep sleeping!

Marilynn Raatz said...

Oh I love the pictures of Logan! Such a wonderful feeling of joy after worrying about him.
I didn't think anyone but a hot flashing women would understand the snake qualities of a turtleneck. But Jack proved me wrong. Oh he is funny!
You are such a good mom to take them outside. It looks so cold! I am so proud of you!!
I love the picture you want hung. I love those memories of you kids.
Your fuzzy babies!
And sorting through magazines is a hereditary trait apparently. My mom did that and so does Barb. It does help if you pass them on as soon as you're done. Cracked me up.
Wyatt is such a doll. And smart too! I'm impressed! One last thing, about address books. Roxanne redid one for me, and the one I have now, I did after you moved. :) You are not alone.

Cindy said...

Regarding your magazines-I have the same problem-I can't throw them out until I read them and then I worry that there still may be something in them I still may want to keep. Then I end up with magazine pileup!!! My solution - no more magazine buying at resale stores,no more subscriptions and I now have the Reader's Digest on my Ipad. You better watch Wyatt with the phone-he may start ordering take out! :)