6.18.2018

A letter to my girl

My dearest daughter,
Sweet girl, since you came into this world, it's like my vision cleared and now I see things in ways I never dreamed.  Unfortunately, a lot of what I see now, I don't like.  I see misogyny, I see disrespect, I see expectations.  I see sexism, I see boxes, I see judgment.

I want you to see past all that. I want you to see that you can do anything you want to do.  I want you to see a way to change the things you don't like.  I want you to see that you are worthy, no matter what the media tells you.  That your body, its size, and your choices are no one else's business.

But I am beginning to see that in order for you to see things that way, I have to see things that way first.  I have to raise you the way I want you to be. After thirty plus years accepting things as they are and hating certain parts of myself, it is a big challenge.

But it is one that I will rise to, because you are worth it, and because I am worth it.

Thank you, darling angel, for coming into my life, for reminding me of my inherent worth and for challenging me to believe things can be better. For you. And for me.

Love,
Mama


1 comment:

Portia said...

Yes! Do it for yourself. Do it for her. Do it for little girls every where. And, truth be told, do it for your sons too.