7.03.2018

{Books} June 2018


The Queen of Hearts
by Kimmery Martin
The Queen of Hearts is like ER or Grey's Anatomy in a book.  It's about two doctors, best friends, and the secret that lingers between them.  It's a great read, one I very much enjoyed reading, especially because they also had families and I always enjoy reading about home life. 

The Woman in Cabin 10
Ruth Ware
I listened to The Woman in Cabin 10 on audio. It was so good, I could not stop listening.  It was a heart pounding book that kept me on the edge of my seat, dying to know what was going to happen next.

Seizures & Epilepsy in Childhood: A Guide for Parents
Seizures & Epilepsy is a book that I have been working my way through for a long time.  It's a heavy read, with lots of medical jargon, but one that is super helpful for parents of kids with epilepsy.  It helped me understand what's going on with Logan so much more than before. Currently we are trying to figure out if his seizures are absent seizures or complex partial seizures, which both look the same if you're not paying really close attention.  Knowing which type it is will better inform the doctor in the event that his current medication doesn't stop his seizures fully.   

Mrs. Fletcher
by Tom Perrotta
Mrs. Fletcher was an audio book I listened to, and it was quite risque. About a mother whose only son went off to college, she found herself quite lonely and up for anything when it came to company and relationships.  While it was entertaining, it was not necessarily a book I would normally have read. 

Siblings Without Rivalry
Siblings Without Rivalry was an easy read, with totally doable advice, which I will be doing a blog post about this month.  I was feeling at my wit's end toward the end of the school year and finally pulled this book off my bookshelf.  As the mom of three boys close in age, my main takeaway was "Don't compare in any way."  It has helped me to stop comparing the boys and let them each be their own, individual self which will help strengthen their relationship because it will decrease the amount of competition they feel amongst themselves.  Highly recommend it.

I'll Be Your Blue Sky
by Marisa de los Santos
I have loved many of de los Santos' books.  My favorite is Belong To Me.  I'll Be Your Blue Sky was good (a girl is having cold feet before her wedding and meets an old woman who gives her advice, and later her beach house!), but the writing was "meh".  It just didn't jump out and grab and me, and I didn't find myself wanting to stay up late and keep reading, which (to me) is the sign of a really good book. 

The Sweetness At The Bottom of The Pie
by Alan Bradley
I listened to this on audio, choosing it based solely on the name, having no idea what it was about, and found myself in love with the main character, a young girl named Flavia who ends up solving a crime.  I can't believe how much I enjoyed this story and how I can't wait to read the next book in the series.  If you are looking for a delightful, entertaining story that keeps things light (well, it was about murder... but the little girl is hilarious!) this might be the book for you! 

Tell Me More
by Kelly Corrigan
I have to admit, I was disappointed by Tell Me More.  It was kind of a downer, and a little bit of an "obvious" book to me.  The book is a collection of 12 things that the author is learning to say more of, including "no" and "I love you", and it just didn't speak to me the way it seems to have spoken to many others whom I know have read and loved it.  I adored Corrigan's book The Middle Place, so I expected myself to also love this one, but it just wasn't so. 


***

June Tally: 8
2018 Tally: 36
Yearly Goal: 36/60

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Love ALL your book reviews! Thanks for taking the time to do them Shelly!