11.25.2013

Weekend Update + What Makes Me Happy

Weekend Update:

Friday my anxiety reared its ugly head again. But I took the advice of my book (Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes) and let the feelings float over me. I continued on about my day as if it weren't there, and by the afternoon, I was feeling alright.

For date night Josh put sausage on the pizza, which was awesome, & we watched Ocean's Twelve, a classic favorite.

Saturday I was still having anxiety, so I accompanied Josh and the boys to Saturday Social.  I find that when I am having anxiety, the worst thing I can do is be alone. While at Saturday Social I figured out where my anxiety came from. On Thursday night Josh and I were talking about the future, and with his new degree, everything is kind of up in the air. We don't know where the future will take us, and with my emotions right now, that's seeming pretty scary.

We had family movie night (Josh made the boys favorite- cheese & olive pizza) and we let them watch Home Alone. They laughed so hard during the part where Kevin was tricking the bad guys, Josh and I were rolling just watching them giggle.

Once the boys were tucked in for the night, I headed to Leah & Johanna's for Girls Night, where we sat around talking, as girls will do, for hours on end. It was just what I needed to get outside my own head. It's so nice to have those girls for my friends, knowing they have my back.


Sunday I slept in (thank you, Josh!) but woke up with a headache.  I took my migraine medicine, which makes me drowsy, so I took a short nap on the couch before taking the twins to Aaliyah's birthday party.  They were so excited. All morning they kept saying, "I can't believe we're invited to her party!"

Josh made some bread and we discovered why my past few loaves haven't been good. Our yeast was bad. So the dough wasn't rising enough to make a good loaf.  I am grateful we discovered the problem because I was starting to feel really bad about my baking abilities!

In addition to making bread, he cleaned the house while we were gone and he made dinner (homemade macaroni & cheese) for the boys.  I feel so grateful that he did so much while I wasn't feeling great.

This week:
  • Clean the house (!!!)
  • Wednesday- Thanksgiving meal at school with Josh's class
  • Thursday- Hosting our second annual Marshall Thanksgiving
  • Figure out how to cook a turkey
    • when do I start defrosting the dang thing?
  • Figure out how to make pumpkin pies
    • then make them
  • Friday- decorate for Christmas

Next week:
  • Start Elf on the Shelf
  • Begin addressing Christmas cards

***

What Makes Me Happy:


Double rainbows
{Thanks Cyndy for calling to tell me about this one!}

 The boys' new room
{Here's hoping having the bunkbeds dismantled makes for more sleep filled nights!}

New books to read
{I finished my newest Anita Shreve & am ready for more reading!}

Music from a friend
{Thank you, Karen. I love it!}

The school supplies my Aunt Linda sent my boys
{They love playing "school" with it, and I love the enthusiasm they have for kindergarten now!}

I am also happy that I've been blogging nearly all month!  A few more posts, and I might actually empty out my draft posts!  At one point there was more than forty. Now it's down to 17!  Wahoo!

***
Today's daily gratitude:

My sister
her friendship 
& how she inspires my parenting

2 comments:

Rox said...

I'm grateful for you, too. We must be on the same wavelength, I sent you and Josh a card yesterday. Love you! I'm proud of you for letting Josh take care of you, and things around the house. And for you knowing what you need to do to make yourself feel better and DOING it.

Marilynn Raatz said...

Shelly, I love the boys bedroom!! It looks great! I am soooo sorry the anxiety came and I am so proud of you for moving beyond it. It is HARD! I am thankful you have girls night, and such a wonderful husband. I am also grateful that the boys were excited to go to a birthday party! I hate migraines but not as much as anxiety. But I will be praying that you get peace and health!
Love Mom xoxo