9.03.2014

Life Stills This Week

 Saturday we enjoyed a family stroll to the Yukon. 
{more to come}

 Sunday we enjoyed a walk to the old airport.

 {More of that adventure to come as well.}

 We did haircuts.

 This little one is now the spitting image of his father.
Kills me.

 The twins' reading is picking up so quickly my head is spinning.  I am still shocked when they read aloud. They can read!  It's amazing!  

I am also continually surprised when they answer questions the same way or get the same wrong answers.  Watching their brains work identically fascinates me daily.

 Tonight we started what I hope will become a tradition-- playing Uno after dinner.  The boys love to play and are really good sports.  Watching them play with their father, I saw a glimpse of who they will grow up to become.  And it made me excited. (Okay... and a little bit sad.)

 Bedtime lately is making me a lot sad...  I go in once the boys are asleep and lay on Wyatt's gigantic queen-size bed beside him.  I hold his hand, rub the place where his fingers now have dimples but will one day instead have knuckles.  How is he three?  How are they six?  I want to embrace each day, cherish every hug and remember every moment.  An impossible task, but I will try anyway.

 Like tonight when Jack was helping me make dinner.  He broke the eggs open while I chopped the onion.  "Is that the one that hurts your eyes mom?" I nodded and handed him the container with the other half and asked him to put it in the fridge. He did as I asked and then said, "Don't worry mom.  I didn't look at it. I didn't want it to hurt my eyes."  

 Or Logan who was telling Josh how he got his hair to look so sharp.  "I used my comber, dad." 

Lately the boys have taken to "shaving" as well, in the bathroom sink with their plastic toy razor & shave cream bubbles made from handsoap.  Jack wants hair gel everyday and Logan thinks flossing is the coolest thing ever. 

It's all just going so fast.

*

 The boys, my sweet boys, being colorblind is real.  Today, again, they asked if green was brown or if brown was green.  Can you tell?  In this picture?  Which of these is brown? Which is green?

No. Neither can they.  Instead they must spin the crayons round and round until they can find the tiny print that tells them which is which.  I know it's not a big deal, it's something they can work with.  But I feel bad nonetheless that it's something they have to struggle with.  Having Wyatt, who just turned three, be better able to label colors than his six year old brothers makes the loss even more real.  

All of it, though, even the struggles, can be so beautiful.
And I'm blessed to be experiencing it.

*

No comments: