3.25.2017

Hey. Can you talk?

 My best conversations with my sister start with, "Hey. Can you talk?" 

{feeling the twins kick}
The phone rings, one of us answers and what follows that question (sometimes, often times, accompanied by tears) is usually our deepest, most raw, most intimate and beautiful conversations.  Our most inspiring talks start this way.

A disagreement with our husbands, heartache on behalf of our children, a fear of moving forward, a fear of standing still, wanting to be seen, wanting to be heard... We've covered it all.  

Pregnancies, parenting, promises...
all shared on the phone, heart to heart, sister to sister.

I found out she was pregnant on the phone, she found out I miscarried on the phone.  I heard she was getting Annie on the phone, and she heard Josh got a job in Washington state on the phone.  Our news, good and bad; our lives, ups and downs, have been shared on the phone.

Today is my sister's birthday.  

Happy birthday, little sister. 
I am so glad you were born.  

And I'll always be here, to answer your calls that start with, "Hey. Can you talk?"

***

2 comments:

Marilynn Raatz said...

Shelly this was the sweetest post. And I am so grateful you girls have each other.

Rox said...

I love this so so much, thank you!
I love you and am grateful to have you through life and its ups and downs.