1.16.2020

around here :: week 1 2020

"here's to the hardships that became our teachers"
amen








Best Book of 2019

Additional Top 9 of my Top 10 Reads of 2019

Best Books of the Decade

Best Audio Listens of 2019
{3 more great books worth sharing}







Watching... The Frozen Ground with Josh for date night. It's a great police mystery movie about a series of missing persons cases in Alaska, played by Nicolas Cage.  Naturally, we love anything about Alaska, and we adore Nicolas Cage (we nearly named Wyatt "Atley" after the guy who plays his friend in Gone in 60 Seconds), so it was an easy choice and it turned out to be a good movie.

Celebrating... as my grandma's friend became a Great Grandmother this week.  Her husband Chuck passed a few years ago, and her brand new grandson, Charlie, is a beautiful tribute to him. I am so, so happy for their whole family.  The joy on Dorothy's face is just priceless.

Feeling... super sick with some kind of sinus thing.  I had a cold before Christmas that naturally went on hold (it's like a mom Super Power) when my kids all came down with Influenza B before Christmas break, and it has since come back with a vengeance.  I am taking sudafed, ibuprofen, afrin and tessalon perles, plus I'm using the neti-pot twice a day.  I am determined to kick this thing, dang it. 

Visiting... my girl Shana sans children and loving the chance to talk for hours without interruption.  She made me the most delicious (and necessary) cup of coffee while Josh kept our kids home so I could have that time to myself.  Being married to a teacher is just the best sometimes!

Undecorating... for Christmas sooner than years past.  We had nothing going on Saturday after Christmas so we just went for it.  Between Carly and the dog, the tree was basically undecorated as it was (ha!) and we were all ready for the house to feel a little bigger.  It only took us about two hours, which was amazing, and I am so grateful we just did it.

Wishing... the Seahawks had won the game Josh was invited to join attending.  He went with my generous brother in law and his crazy generous parents.  When we told them that Josh couldn't go, because we couldn't afford the ticket, the three of them came together to cover the cost of Josh's ticket.  I was moved to tears and just can't get over how good people are to us and our family.  In ways that are just above and beyond.  They were a literal answer to prayer, as I had prayed for God to create a way for Josh to go, to make clear to me how to do it. And instead He covered the details and just made it happen.  Thanks for being His hands, Bruce, Jennifer & Blake.

Having... my sister and her three kiddos over for a few hours while our husbands were at the football game Sunday.  We fed the monsters; sorted Legos and visited.  Plus, being the amazing saint she is, she did my dishes. Dish after dish, pan after pan, she just kept washing and washing. I was so insanely grateful.  Thanks, Roxanne. You're the BEST.

Finally... feeling like a have a bond and connection with Romy, my niece.  It's been in little bits and pieces, slowly coming together, and finally this visit she kept calling me mommy (I think because of Carly calling me that) and wanting me to follow her and carry her everywhere. She just melts my heart.  Her hugs are the best thing on.the.planet and her smile lights her ENTIRE face.  She has the most adorable black curls and she tilts her head to one side when she's trying to understand why someone is upset. "What happ?" she asks over and over.  I am just crazy in love with her and I'm so excited that I'm one of her chosen people now!

Listening... to Jewel's book Never Broken on audio thanks to the recommendation of my mom's good friend and our old neighbor Susan.  This book was never on my radar, I didn't even know she had written one, when Susan suggested it.  I am so, so grateful she did.  The entire book (which Jewel narrates) is engrossing and full of life lessons in how to find beauty in the ashes. 
She believes that souls, like water, cannot break. (How gorgeous is that idea?!?) She says that we are flexible and that if we choose to be flexible that can be what keeps us from feeling broken.  She also says that we should thank the girls we were for being brave enough and strong enough to get us to today, and that our innocence is not lost when we are hurt.  It is instead transformed, into wisdom.  I just love the visual of that.  Instead of imagining my innocence blowing in the wind like whisps of smoke, gone forever, I love seeing it transforming like one type of rock into another. From what it was to what it will forever be. 
The book completely stands alone, but especially if you have ever watched Alaska: The Last Frontier, I think you would enjoy it, as it sets the background for Atz Sr.'s life before the show and his children's early lives.  It's amazing all they have been through and forgiven each other for.  I am beyond impressed. 

Enjoying... a little-kid-free day when Josh's mom agreed to have Wyatt & Carly on the 31st.  Then in the afternoon, Logan & Jack's friends invited them over for a few hours as well, so we had only two kids at a time all day.  It was lovely.

Celebrating... the new year in bed like every reasonable 36 & 37 year old couple with four kids who will be up at 6:30am the next morning. Ha!
.....zzzz......

Slowly... working our way back into real life, making Jack do make up homework (from when he was sick) and cleaning house the weekend before we headed back to work and school.  I also did a load of organizing while listening to The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up on audio, and he worked his butt off on his art project.  Logan, the lucky guy, got to go ice skating with his friend Joseph.  It was great to have the house back in order and to have Jack somewhat caught up before he headed back.

Trading... my nephew for Ferris for Wyatt over break after meeting my sister halfway between our two towns.  Ferris & Jack played at my house while Wyatt & Milo played at her house and in the afternoon we met up again to swap back.  Logan spent the day at the land with Josh and Samuel, which was special to him and exactly the break he and Jack needed from each other.

Grateful... that Josh's mom came to pick up Logan & Jack on the 1st for their special time with her so we could have a lazy morning in our jammies.  I spent the day making goals and deciding on my "phrase of the year", as well as compiling my favorite reads of 2019, and creating my To-Read lists for 2020 {coming soon!}.  I used templates from Modern Mrs. Darcy and Whitney over at The Unread Shelf to decide what books I want to make a priority this year.
{If you have any questions about my favorite reads of 2019, ask away! I love talking books!}

*** 

No comments: