5.09.2014

PARENTHOOD :: Screen Free Week

I thought I'd give a little update on Screen Free Week,
as well as how my Parenthood-focused month is going.

{The river has broken up}
Yesterday was a long day. I am praying today is a little better, but the weather looks iffy and the forecast is calling for more rain... so I'm not holding my breath!  

I almost caved yesterday.  At least three times I thought, It wouldn't be that big a deal if I broke Screen-Free week.  But I stayed strong and with the creation of some Flubber (warm water, elmer's glue & borax) we survived the afternoon.  
{There's a lot of ice still floating, but the river is moving}

Screen Free week would be much easier in Vancouver where I could take them on a playdate, to the library or out to eat for distraction.  It's been a little more difficult here.  Especially with the snow and rain we had Thursday.

The first three days I was all about no screens.  I felt great, the kids were happy.  We did crafts, we played outside.  Today was much more difficult.  I realized that their screen time is my break time.  And I miss it. Desperately.

I am glad to have experienced the full range of emotions with regard to Screen Free Week-- seeing the good and the bad that those screens produce.

I definitely take away from this week that I am the boss of my time, not Facebook.  That I am a better mom when I'm not distracted.  And that my kids sleep better and play more cooperatively with less screen time.

But I also see that screen time makes for nice down time, that I use the internet for nearly everything, and that waking up at 5:30am for my own slice of internet before the children wake up makes my one cup of coffee less than effective at waking me up.

I plan to continue staying off my phone entirely during meal times, homeschooling and while outside with the kids.  I also plan to do the majority of my blogging while the kids are asleep.  It's easier to focus and I enjoy my days much more when I am available to them.

In addition to controlling our screen consumption, I am working to read through Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids again, and I would also like to read Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn.

I am saying yes more, laughing more and slowing down more.

And I am reading a lot more with the boys. This one is huge for me. Reading to my kids really makes me feel like a good mom.  So reading three stories at nap time, and three stories at bedtime, plus another book or two at some point throughout the day puts a smile on my face.  And my kids' faces.

I am getting more spontaneous hugs and "I love you's" from all three boys.

I am also seeing how each boy best connects with me.  For Logan he likes me to make him laugh, to laugh with him or to get physical (chasing, tickling, etc.); For Jack he likes me to color with him, listen to his ideas or stories and hold him on my lap; For Wyatt he likes to be read to, to do puzzles and to play hide & seek with me.

I am really happy with the timing of Screen Free Week for my Happiness Project Goal of Parenthood this month.  It has started things off on the right foot, and I'm so grateful!

*

The boys love to visit a broken down forklift that's a short walk from our house.  Here are some cute pictures of them enjoying it with a friend one sunny day last week.






























*


1 comment:

Tabitha Studer said...

Shelly! This is awesome! We had the same experience over here during Screen Free week. I'm counting it as a huge success and a much needed wake up call! I loved reading this and feel just the same! I'll be doing my SFW recap on Wednesday and I'm planning to link up to some other recaps - including this one of yours. So inspiring! yay for us!!